Rachmaninoff's Beverly Hills Home

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
Marianne

Re: Rachmaninoff's Beverly Hills Home

Postby Marianne » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Dear Zane! Thank you so much for posting this rare materials and photos!!!
Now I can post them in Russian Internet too.
Thank you very much!
Hope to hear more of your unique treasures concerning Rachmaninoff!

margaretmbrooks

Postby margaretmbrooks » Tue May 24, 2016 9:06 am

Rare piece of attraction. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Zane

Postby Zane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:44 pm

[RE-POST OF ZANE'S ORIGINAL THREAD OPENING]

by Zane on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:02 am
In 1987, I visited SVR's Beverly Hills, California home while it was vacant and offered for sale. The listing information and photos I took are reproduced below.

When Rachmaninoff moved into this home, he said, "I will die in this house," and indeed he eventually did.

Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff died in this upstairs master bedroom on 28 March 1943.

I donated an 11" x 14" photographic print of a picture of SVR's profile taken in 1938 and provided to me by the original photographer, Adolph Altman, in 1987. The wood-framed photograph stands against a window, in the following master bedroom (and adjoining study) picture, and was later mounted on a master bedroom wall as a memorial.

Mr. Altman's large facial photograph had been printed on the jacket of the Sergei Bertensson and Jay Leyda 1956 and 1964 printings of their biography of Rachmaninoff, as follows (the lower of the two pictures). Rachmaninoff ordered extra prints of this photo for his family, and autographed Mr. Altman's own print of the photograph, adding, "Thank you for a very good portrait."

Zane

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”