Natalie Rachmaninoff

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
opus23#10

Natalie Rachmaninoff

Postby opus23#10 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:04 pm

In an effort to find out information about SVR's wife, I have consulted several biographies and other sources. Most recently I accessed www. ruvr.ru, and found a site titled Russia, 1000 Years of Music. I then clicked on The Story of a Wedding Gift. The wedding picture is truly lovely, but the text conflicts in several ways with information in Rachmaninoff's biographies. I would really like to have accurate biographical information about this important person in our composer's life. Can someone direct me to a good source?
Opus23#10

Marianne

Re: Natalie Rachmaninoff

Postby Marianne » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm

Thank you for the link!
But where did you find the controversions? Everything seems to be written quite right.

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Marianne, there were two items that seemed to me to be stated differently in other works. First, I think I read that the couple had a three year long engagement because of the difficulty they had getting permission from the Russian Orthodox Church for their marriage(partly because of their relationship as cousins, but also because Sergei could not produce the certificates that he was practicing his religion). There is not exactly a contradiction here, because Sergei R. could have started working with the priests in hopes that Natalie's mother would agree to the marriage.
The other discrepency was the fact that the Voice of Russia source had Sergei tell Natalie, "It is not too late, you can still back out" during the ceremony. In another source, the speaker was Ziloti, and he said it while they were walking through the military barracks on the way to the little chapel.
Now, I would have to search to find out where I read these things, but I will do it soon.THIS IS REALLY NO BIG DEAL, THOUGH. I do a little writing on the side for a music teacher newsletter, and for any other music source that will print my stuff, and I am interested in Natalie. (I thought the picture on the Voice of Russia site was beautiful.)
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:02 am

You are absolutely amazing reader!!! Absolutely! :D
You are right - in Natalie' recollections on the abovementioned site it goes as Ziloti told her this joke question.
As for the the first part - you know, actually the whole text on this site is just a translation - (rather simplified one) of the first 10-15 sentences of Natalie's recollections.

Do you mean that it is not mentioned in this text that they had three years engagement?
It seems that only in September 1901 they began the search of the approval of the church and civil powers. I've read in the recollections written by Oskar von Riesemann that Rachmaninoff had to make one's confession in a church and they asked some priest - a friend of theirs - to talk with him instead of making him make a real confession.

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Marianne, first let me say that the photo of SVR, Natalie, Sophia, and maybe Vladimir Satin in the stairs is just amazing. It shows so much of the house, and a different part of it! I assume this is at Ivanovka.The picture is especially significant because it shows SVR and the others a "real people", in their family setting; it is not a studio portrait.
Do you know what amazes me? These pictures -- taken in Russia -- are not that different from my own family photos taken at the time in Texas! The clothing of the women and their hair styles are very similar. The Russian shirt worn by the men is different, but most of the men in my family pictures wore white shirts in a different style. Small world!
I will say more about the biography by Oskar von Riesmann, as well as customs in the Church in another posting.
You are absolutely an incredible source of information about Rachmaninoff and Russia!
Opus23#10 :D

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:44 am

Dear Opus 23#10! You are an incredible company! (is it possible to say interlocutor? I guess too much archaic?)

I have few photos of my own relatives from 1900, 1905, 1915, they look a bit the same way too!

Here are the pictures of Natalie from our new source

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 am

In case you've never seen this beautiful and rather well-known photo of Natalie:

As for her education she studied in the Moscow consevatory, piano class,
in 1895/1896 and 1896/1897 in the S.M.Remizov class,
in 1897/1898 her teachers were P.A.Pabst and V.A.Sapelnikov
1898/1899 - James Kvast and V.I.Safonov
1899/1900 - Paul Litte and N.E.Shishkin
1900/1901 - K.N.Igumnov

As long as I understand on her final exam A.N.Scryabin was the main jury member.

Rachmaninoff devoted to her the songs:

1)"Don't sing, the beauty" (his most famous one)
2)song-joke "Did you think of me, Natasha,
when I drank champagne
of different tastes, qualities and varieties,
of different ages and strengths"

StewH

Postby StewH » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm

Ladies,
See my comment about Natalya under "Rare photos"! :)
StewH

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”