more about SVR's hands

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
opus23#10

more about SVR's hands

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Much has been said about the span of Rachmaninoff's hands, their incredible accuracy . However, the thing I find amazing is that in his compositions he so often places the hands close together, even on top of each other in chords. I find it difficult enough to play some of these closely written two handed passages, and can only imagine the agility he had in order to do them flawlessly with his big hands.
Opus23#10

RACHBOY

Re: more about SVR's hands

Postby RACHBOY » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:45 pm

Such a pity we have no film of him actually playing!

opus23#10 wrote:Much has been said about the span of Rachmaninoff's hands, their incredible accuracy . However, the thing I find amazing is that in his compositions he so often places the hands close together, even on top of each other in chords. I find it difficult enough to play some of these closely written two handed passages, and can only imagine the agility he had in order to do them flawlessly with his big hands.
Opus23#10

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:38 am

I heard that he actually played on that recording roll thing twice where his piano key movements were recorded. Isnt that how we have most of his recordings today? Sort of shows how fast and with which attack he played different notes.

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 pm

I've read that Franck could reach C-F# (11th not 4th :) ), Liszt C-G, Rachmaninoff C-G# and Busoni C-A!!!!!

rachfan

SVR's hands....

Postby rachfan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:18 pm

I found the following in my copy of Max Harrison's book 'Rachmaninoff: Life, Works, Recordings' (Continuum, New York, 2005), p. 270.

'Such personal acquaintances as Cyril Smith** said that he (SVR) could with his left hand stretch C-E flat-G-C-G and the right could manage C (second finger)-E-G-C-E (thumb under).'

** reference: Smith C., 1958, 'Duet for Three Hands', London, Angus and Robertson.
Cyril Smith was a famous English pianist and teacher who was known for his performances of SVR's music. He also played music for 4 hands with his wife, Phyllis Sellick . After he lost the use of his left arm following a thrombosis during a flight on a concert tour of Russia, they became famous playing music for 3 hands. Malcolm Arnold's Concerto for Two Pianos (3 hands), opus 104 was composed for them and dedicated to them. Cyril Smith must have had conversations with SVR about hand problems!!

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”