Medtner/Rachmaninoff CD

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
opus23#10

Medtner/Rachmaninoff CD

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:04 pm

SURPRISE FIND: Rachmaninoff & Medtner by duo-piano
Saida Kafarova & Desiree Paulsen Bakke.

WORKS: Nikolai Medtner -- Russian Round Dance, Op.58, No.1, and Knight Errant, Op.58, No.2

Sergei Rachmaninoff -- Russian Rhapsody (1891) no opus --
premiered 11- 1891 by SVR and Josef Lhevinne at student recital in Moskow. (SVR never completely finished this work, but various editors have pieced together random excerpts found in the composer's archives. This final version, put together by Rachmaninoff scholar David Cannata, had the approval of the composer's grandson Alexander Conus-Rachmaninov.)

The pianists have impressive credentials. Desiree Paulsen Bakke, a native of Norway, has performed frequently in Europe and the USA.
Saida Kafarova, a native of Azerbaijan, studied with a pupil of Medtner - Elmira Safarova. Ms. Kafarova is the winner of many awards, and holds a doctor of music degree. Her dissertation was on Medtner's Op. 58.

The two pianists formed their duo in 2003, and have performed frequently together. This recording was made in the recital hall of Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas, in 2005.
CD by Centaur -- CRC2822

Just a note: I was surprised that there was no note on the forum about SVR's birthday, April 2 (modern calendar). One of the columnists of our local newspaper, Paula Allen, who researcched SVR's two visits to San Antonio for her column, e-mailed me a message from the Writer's Almanac about Rachmaninoff on his birthday. I was delighted she took this interest.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Re: Medtner/Rachmaninoff CD

Postby Marianne » Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 am

As long as I understand there is no separate topic devoted to Medtner in this board.
Let then this be the one!

I came to share unique record - please check Shura Cherkassky plays Medtner "Fairy Tale" Op. 34 No. 2
on youtube*com!

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”