Harvest of Sorrow: The Memories of Sergei Rachmaninoff

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
Marianne

Re: Harvest of Sorrow: The Memories of Sergei Rachmaninoff

Postby Marianne » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Thank you, StewH! I'll try to get one)

I wonder - is it possible to cut out all the archive video out of that film and make a separate movie?

StewH

Postby StewH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Marianne wrote:Thank you, StewH! I'll try to get one)

I wonder - is it possible to cut out all the archive video out of that film and make a separate movie?

I wouldn't want to guess at the problems you would encounter in attempting to edit the original film--all in all, probably not a good idea.
StewH

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Yes, I quite understand this. All the same it's a pity one can't have a look on this archive video separately from the modern performers... Of course they all deserve our applause, and the film-makers for their work, for their intention to bring this archives out.
But this archive video fragments deserve to be watched separately, not for the aim of promoting some new names, but for themselves...
I hope there will be such an option some day...

Amphissa

Re: Harvest of Sorrow film

Postby Amphissa » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 am

concertoboy wrote:I found the text spoken by Sir John Gielgud was very amateurish - full of inconsistencies and errors which are very blatant. The text is quite laughable at times. At any rate, the dvd is well worth the purchase (but I have great reservations about Tony Palmer's script, which is very disjointed and full of holes).

The words spoken by Gielgud are taken from Rachmaninoff's diaries. So, if you think they are amateurish and full of inconsistencies, it is Rachmaninoff's own words that you are calling into question. This is not a "script" by Tony Palmer. The story is told by Rachmaninoff himself. That is why the "script" seems disjointed and full of holes. Rachmaninoff was not writing a screen play. He was just making notes in his diary. Of course, even Rachmaninoff may have errors of memory, especially regarding dates, the order of events, people. What inaccuracies, errors and inconsistencies do you notice?
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:46 am

What amused me most was the beginning of the 1st Symphony illustrating some boats sailing on East River, Brooklin Bridge and Downtown Manhattan. I suppose he was thinking of America when he wrote that just as much as I think now about the blue mountain rabbit with three horns.
But overall it's very interesting - the reconstructed Ivanovka, Senar and the home movies alone make this documentary worth seeing.

Marianne

Re: Harvest of Sorrow film

Postby Marianne » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:46 am

This film is really worth watching. I wish I knew what Rachmaninoff himself would say after watching it.
I think there also could be a good documentary made only with the use of old records, old photos to create the atmosphere of that period... Without modern performers as long as we have many old records available, including Ziloti's records, that show the technique and art level that was the most appreciated in those days.

StewH

Postby StewH » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 pm

I much enjoyed seeing the young Russian artists performing SVR's works. It shows how much, I believe, Rachmaninoff is still studied and appreciated in his home country, more so than here in the US obviously.
StewH

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Perfect!

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:02 am

Harvest of Sorrow is a very interesting documentary because it contains the wonderful movies of the Rachmaninoff family as well as material from SVR's letters. However, one error I detected, which was not actually taken from SVR's letters, was regarding his father.
The statement was made that after his parents separated, Rachmaninoff never saw his father again. He actually tried to stay with his father after being assigned his one act opera by the conservatory. However, the "party atmosphere" caused him to retire to his room in despair. When the father went to check on him, he realized that SVR couldn't concentrate on his assignment and compose. The father then told his guests to leave because his son needed quiet in order to work.
On another occassion, Rachmaninoff attempted to stay with his father for a while during the summer, but left after only one day. SVR had already become ill and was ready to return to Moscow. (I cannot document this, because it would take more research than I have time for at the moment. However, readers of SVR's biographies will surely come across this discrepency in the Harvest of Sorrow script.)
As for the young performers in the documentary, I thought they were great, and a testimony to Rachmaninoff's importance in Russia -- as well as elsewhere.
Opus23#10

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Excellent! Useful information concerning the photos...

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:42 pm

opus23#10, exactly! I've read in the biographies the same information, that he even tried to live with his father again!

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”