Harvest of Sorrow: The Memories of Sergei Rachmaninoff

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
Amphissa

Harvest of Sorrow: The Memories of Sergei Rachmaninoff

Postby Amphissa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:44 am

A documentary film about SVR will be released in the U.S. on DVD on July 31. This film was aired on the Ovation network several times during the month. It is an exceptionally well-done documentary, featuring performances of many of Rachmaninoff's best known pieces. I was really pleased to find that much of the orchestral music in the first hour is drawn from SVR's magnificent and sadly neglected First Symphony -- in this case, performed by Gergiev and the Kirov Orchestra.

The film is almost autobiographical, as the story is told almost entirely in words written by Rachmaninoff in his memoirs, spoken by the late great Sir John Gielgud. Included is a segment in which SVR's grandson, Alexander Rachmaninoff, visits the estate of his grandfather for the first time, and we follow along on his tour of the home, including the room in which he composed until the time he fled Russia. The film was made with the participation of his grandson.

Here is the (rather poor) description as given on the Ovation network website:
http://ovationtv.com/music/programdetail.aspx?id=97&genre=1&subgenre=14

I'm sure it will be available from many online retailers, including (in the U.S.) Amazon and Tower.

For those unfamiliar with the phrase that serves as the title, the Harvest of Sorrow refers the atrocities inflicted on the Russian peasantry by the Soviet Communist party between 1929 and 1933. And if you do not know why it was chosen as the title for this film .... well, then, you must see the film!

Recomended.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info, but what an odd photo of SVR....

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:26 am

There is much video footage of Rachmaninoff in the documentary. I suspect the cover picture is taken from video, not an old photograph. It is a younger Rachmaninoff on the cover than we usually see. Those video segments of Rachmaninoff in daily life are quite interesting.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

opus23#10

SVR documentary DVD

Postby opus23#10 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks, Amphissa, for calling this DVD to our attention. I can hardly wait to get it. (Although the upcoming movie will be interesting, it may not be as factual as this DVD.)
Opus23#10

feworkr

Postby feworkr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:59 am

Pre-ordered mine from Amazon 2 weeks ago. It should be here today or tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing it again, hopefully a little sharper than the Ovation network tape.

feworkr

Postby feworkr » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:12 am

Got it! Saw it and it was (again) wonderful! Just keep your volume controller in hand as Sir John comes out way to quiet and some of the symphonic phrases come in way to loud. Be sure to click on 'Subtitles' so you get all the info. I highly recommend it!!!

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:17 am

What does he look like?? Does he play piano in it?? Does it show him in L.A.? The wonders.. :D

opus23#10

Harvest of Sorrows

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 am

What a moving documentary! Sir John Gielgud is convincing as the voice of Rachmaninoff, and the family movies are a treasure.
The restored Ivanovka is beautiful, and Senar is breathtaking. Every devotee of SVR should have this DVD. These are some of the things I really appreciated:
1. The music is not "chopped up" into short segments to fit the changing pictures. One has a chance to hear fairly long sections. 2. The filming is clear and it moves steadily from scene to scene. It is the style now in many movies to jump from one scene to another -- losing the logical sequence. 3. The scenes with the Russian people, at a folklife festival, etc., and at Ivanovka are interesting. 4. Finally -- for someone who is unfamiliar with Russian names, I now know how to pronounce Ivanovka :!:
Opus23#10

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:23 pm

How did I miss this??? :shock:

I'm so ordering it today!

No wonder I can't save any money.... :oops:
Music is born only in the heart and speaks only to the heart --- SVR

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Anyone seen it? Impressions?

concertoboy

Harvest of Sorrow film

Postby concertoboy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 pm

I recently got this dvd and am very impressed by it. The home movie footage of Rachmaninoff and his family is wonderful. The music performances are wonderful too (quite a representative selection from his body of work. I found the text spoken by Sir John Gielgud was very amateurish - full of inconsistencies and errors which are very blatant. The text is quite laughable at times. I only bought this in order to see the old film footage of Rachmaninoff: boating, motoring, lounging around at home, enjoying meals with his family, playing with children, dancing around, being accosted by crazy females (and even sometimes doing the accosting haha). I particularly enjoyed seeing him throw a ball - I think he could have been a great pitcher! At any rate, the dvd is well worth the purchase (but I have great reservations about Tony Palmer's script, which is very disjointed and full of holes).

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Sound interesting. Where can I find it?

Marianne

Re: Harvest of Sorrow: The Memories of Sergei Rachmaninoff

Postby Marianne » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:06 pm

This film is great!
I've found it only on youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=VNtFUMum8_Y
there you can only watch it and catch the music. Because it is in Japanese only :D
But still - the rare video, extracts from the recitals, so full of inspiration...
Wish they could show someday all the rare archive video in one file, not split all around the movie....

Also Gergiev - I've seen him many times conducting in the Mariinsky Theatre here in Saint-Petersburg and love to watch from the side his beautifull hands while he is conducting (they look like birds), not only his face. All the same, so gratefull, so thankfull! Great job!!!

PS Also there is one little mistake - they show SVR's hands in this way:

But Russians always wear the wedding ring on the right hand. So the photo was obviously made from this picture:

which is more correct. :D

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am

Excellent Marianne!
If any of you have the 3rd volume of songs with Howard Shelley, there's also a flipped picture there on the back cover of the CD booklet...

StewH

Postby StewH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:37 pm

"Harvest of Sorrow" is available on DVD from Amazon.com! :D
StewH

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”