Chronology of Rachmaninoff's performances

Any remarks or questions on the life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff can be posted here.
rachmanfan1

Chronology of Rachmaninoff's performances

Postby rachmanfan1 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:26 am

Hi all,

Does anyone know of an internet site or book that lists all known recital dates and locations played by Rachmaninoff during his life?

I check for Rachmaninoff memorabilia on ebay every once and awhile and sometimes see performance programs from concerts he gave and would like to start collecting them to put together a more physical chronology of his performance life.

Thanks in advance!

opus23#10

Recital Program Collection

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:00 pm

What a great collection those recital programs would make :!: If you find one from San Antonio, TX. dating to the 1930's, please let me know the details. SVR had a bad back at the time and had to be helped out onto the stage. He asked that the curtain be raised and lowered, rather than have the audience distracted by seeing him in that condition.

These details are in the Bertensson - Leyda biography (1956--2001).I would love to know where and when SVR appeared, who sponsored him, and what he played. Hopefully, I will make the time to look in the archives of the local newspaper, but I am not sure of the year. If I find this info., I will share it with members.

Good look on your collection :)
Opus23#10

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 pm

I have dates and works he performed only as a conductor. I had found them years ago somewhere on the internet but don't know where :(

Loki

Postby Loki » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 pm

The Society is working on publishing - probably in the Member's Area, a list of all known performances, which has been compiled by a member. This will probably be a simple list of dates and venues. Please bear with us, though. This may take a while.....

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Sounds very interesting. How long do we have to wait? :wink:

Loki

Postby Loki » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Sorry but I can't say at the moment. We have to secure the compiler's agreement for publication, then undertake the logistics of publishing the data. I'm afraid it won't be that fast!!

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Yeah, I imagined so. Thanks anyway!

Marianne

Re: Chronology of Rachmaninoff's performances

Postby Marianne » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:51 am

There is a list in the Russian edition - in the so called three volumes book of Rachmaninoff.

rachmanfan1

Postby rachmanfan1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:54 am

Marianne wrote:There is a list in the Russian edition - in the so called three volumes book of Rachmaninoff.

Thank-you so much for the information, Marianne!

I haven't been able to work on this project for the last couple of years but would like to return to it now that I have a little more time.

It will be interesting to see how much detail is in their catalogue of concert programmes. (If I can afford to buy it... still waiting to hear back about how much it is and how to order it.)
I noticed when looking at these programmes on ebay sometimes the original owner who attended the recital will make little notes about encores that were played and other interesting tidbits that otherwise would not be known from the programme itself.

Luke

rachmanfan1

Postby rachmanfan1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:35 pm

I received a reply back from the creators of the Rachmaninoff volumes. Unfortunately, they say they are just getting started on the volumes of his works and the catalogue of the concert programmes will not be available for many, many years....

So until then, I guess I'll just keep collecting whatever information I can from other means.

Luke

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:33 pm

I have good news! This year is the year when I've got two of that three volumes finally!
It was a present from Russian pianist Pavel Egorov who is a great connoisseur of Schumann and Chopin and the head of our SVR's group on Russian facebook vkontakte
!
The catalogue of concerts is placed on thirty pages of the third volume.

I will translate it to English and will place the translation on www*rachmaninow*narod*ru site
but if you want something urgent to know, please feel free to ask. It will be a pleasure for me to answer you!

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:58 am

Marianne, you must be delighted with the two Rachmaninoff books you received :!:
Society members will be very interested in the concert programs when you post them. It is amazing how much room they will take up in the third book. Just imagine Rachmaninoff performing in so many concerts and recitals - a super human endeavor.
Thanks for this exciting information.
Opus23#10

wj2131039

Postby wj2131039 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:53 am

The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff~
http://en.trade2cn.com/index.html

Loki

Postby Loki » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:30 pm

rachmanfan1 wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know of an internet site or book that lists all known recital dates and locations played by Rachmaninoff during his life?

I check for Rachmaninoff memorabilia on ebay every once and awhile and sometimes see performance programs from concerts he gave and would like to start collecting them to put together a more physical chronology of his performance life.

Thanks in advance!

Keep watching this site....the Society is hopeful of making this information available to members in the future (and if you're not yet a Society member, better join now)!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Unfortunately the list of concerts starts only from 1909

and is structured in the following way:

for example

Season 1909/10, then the cities and towns where the concerts took place (according to dates), and then the whole list of pieces that Rachmaninoff performed as a pianist as one list for a season. The concerts when big works (symphonies and orchestra concerts) were performed are mentioned more or less frequently in the first part of such an article with the names of the directors.

This kind of structure has in some way some logic as he certainly performed more or less the same repertoir for a season. But of course one would love to see a more detailed list of concert, as
- the date
- the place
- the pieces performed.

Return to “The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff”