Search found 308 matches

by Marianne
Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:01 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: The best Concerto
Replies: 8
Views: 8598

Re:

A young lady once asked him what inspired him to write such a beautiful work as the 2nd Piano Concerto. Rachmaninoff looked down at her and replied gruffly, "Twenty-five rubles." I guess this is a lie. Because the main reason of creating this music was his deep depression because of his u...
by Marianne
Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:26 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Movie on Rachmaninoff - Finally!!!!!
Replies: 28
Views: 23878

Re: Movie on Rachmaninoff - Finally!!!!!

I wish people could appreciate his music and never make films about his private life. I think Rachmaninoff did enough in his life, he worked as hard as he could, he wrote best music, he made so many records, he helped so many people... We must have respect for his private life and even if such film ...
by Marianne
Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 am
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: stephen hough's recordings
Replies: 16
Views: 16558

Re: stephen hough's recordings

Are there any records of Ravel playing his works? I know the records of Grieg playing his works, Gershwin, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Skriabin... But never heard of Ravel... Where one can find them? As for Stephen Hough's recordings - when I listen to them it seems to me that I watch a cartoon, may be...
by Marianne
Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 am
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...
Replies: 17
Views: 16001

Re: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...

Hi Daniel, hi friends! I'm from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. I love Rachmaninoff music since my childhood, as my mother played his Elegy, famous Prelude in C# minor and some others... Everybody in Russia knows Rachmaninoff mostly because of his Concert №2 Though it seems that all over the world the pic...
by Marianne
Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:36 am
Forum: Best Recordings
Topic: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR
Replies: 12
Views: 12067

Re: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR

I like Howard Shelley's interpretation of Elegy and most of the piano works much better than Rachmaninoff's author interpretation. It feels like Rachmaninoff-pianist underestimates the beauty of his own compositions. But of course I know why I love Howard Shelley's interpretation of Elegy so much - ...
by Marianne
Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 am
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 61
Views: 63387

Rare photos

I search for rare photos of S.V.Rachmaninoff If you have links, please post. Plus I wonder, is there any way to see the pictures from the German site: rachmaninoff.de/themen/bilder.shtml enlarged? Here are some of the rare photos that I've found: http://cs117.vkontakte.ru/u987929/2134273/x_f7e201a7....
by Marianne
Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:36 pm
Topic: SVR's contemporary and friend - Chaliapin
Replies: 9
Views: 8569

Re: SVR's contemporary and friend - Chaliapin

There is also a film "Don Quixote" (1933) by George Wilhelm Pabst where Chaliapin plays the role of Don Quixote
One can find the episodes from this film on youtube.com.
by Marianne
Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:38 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: Rachmaninoff Plays and Speaks
Replies: 2
Views: 4274

Re: Rachmaninoff Plays and Speaks

Thank you so much for this record!
It seems he said: "Вы совсем не знаете слов" - "You don't know the words at all"

Go to advanced search