Search found 94 matches

by StewH
Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:27 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Ormandy Interview about SV R
Replies: 5
Views: 6923

Re: Ormandy Interview about SV R

You're very welcome! Let us know what you think of the interview--it's very funny and illustrates how humble SVR was with his professional colleagues, in this case Mr. Ormandy.
by StewH
Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!
Replies: 20
Views: 18237

Re: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Since I recently purchased sheet music for The Seasons by Tchaikovsky, I decided to type in "Troika" on Youtube. Amazing! Rachmaninoff plays "Troika", and his teacher -- Konstantin Igumnov plays "By the Hearth" (January), both from The Seasons . The Igumnov recording i...
by StewH
Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:24 am
Topic: Ormandy Interview about SV R
Replies: 5
Views: 6923

Re: Ormandy Interview about SV R

Yes, of course! Replace the "*" by "." This will take you to the website "Penn Special Collections" from which you can download the interview with Ormandy. This file is playable by RealPlayer. Download it from their website (for free). Or the link you give is the same i...
by StewH
Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:00 am
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 61
Views: 63380

Re: Rare photos

Marianne,

Yes, of course! That's the one! Natalya looks to be a very determined, strong-willed young woman. Not at all bad, of course! I'm quite taken by her in this photo.
by StewH
Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm
Topic: Natalie Rachmaninoff
Replies: 7
Views: 7670

Re: Natalie Rachmaninoff

Ladies,
See my comment about Natalya under "Rare photos"! :)
by StewH
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

I have just started reading Geoffrey Norris's bio of SVR. In the photo section in the middle of the book, a photo entitled "Hay-making at Ivanovka" features the Satin family, a few family friends, a Russian priest, and SVR standing in back with his hand on his Sofiya's shoulder. In front, ...
by StewH
Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:45 am

These photos are truly wonderful, Marianne! "Spasibo bol'shoe!"
by StewH
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:11 pm
Topic: Have you heard the story about ...?
Replies: 25
Views: 22263

Re: Have you heard the story about ...?

Horowitz, in the concerts I've seen him perform, both live and DVD, looks at the keyboard quite often.
by StewH
Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:20 am
Forum: Best Recordings
Topic: Vespers
Replies: 13
Views: 17998

Re: Vespers

I have the two LP set of Sveshnikov's "Vespers". It blew me away when I first heard it, and I still consider it the best of the lot. I now own both the Shaw recording and the Polyansky on CD and will endeavor to compare the two and perhaps give a personal evaluation of them. But give me so...
by StewH
Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 am
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Matsuev's "Unknown Rachmaninoff"
Replies: 7
Views: 7846

Re: Matsuev's "Unknown Rachmaninoff"

What I've heard is that Alexander Rachmaninoff (Konus), SVR's grandson and inheritor of the Senar discovered new pages of the fuga, he chose Matsuev to play it. Interesting and much applauded to is the fact that he allowed the pianist to make a record only if he quites smoking, because smoking led ...
by StewH
Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:20 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Magazine: "The Bells II" * In DISTRIBUTION NOW *
Topic: The Bells no. 2
Replies: 11
Views: 10561

Re: The Bells no. 2

Yay! :lol:
by StewH
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:06 pm
Topic: Have you heard the story about ...?
Replies: 25
Views: 22263

Re: Have you heard the story about ...?

Now that you mention it, yes! My dad relayed this same story to me many years ago...so there may be some truth to it...who knows?
by StewH
Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm
Topic: Vinyl
Replies: 12
Views: 13912

Re: Vinyl

Thank you, Amphissa, for your advice, and I'll be sure to let you know what happens.
by StewH
Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:34 pm
Topic: Vinyl
Replies: 12
Views: 13912

Re: Vinyl

While they're still in pretty good shape, still, I would prefer playing them on a much better turntable than I presently own, and frankly, I can't find a dealer, local or otherwise, that carries the quality product which I am looking for. What is "local" for you? Are you looking for one s...
by StewH
Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 pm
Topic: Natalie's Recollections
Replies: 15
Views: 11218

Re: Natalie's Recollections

March 14, 1943?! This is impossible--SVR was sick in bed at his home in Beverly Hills during most of March, 1943, until his death on March 28. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that I can find that there was any intention to give a concert with the LA Philharmonic at this time eithe...

Go to advanced search