Search found 94 matches

by StewH
Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 am
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Identity of girl in picture?
Replies: 7
Views: 6707

Re: Identity of girl in picture?

Op23#10-- The "girl" you refer to looks more like Natalia's and Sophia's mother, Varvara. And the young boy on the right closely resembles Mikhail Bakunin. If you still have Geoffrey Norris's book, check out the photo titled, "Hay-making at Ivanovka." Natalia, Varvara and Mikhail...
by StewH
Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: Rachmaninoff influenced...
Replies: 6
Views: 7132

Re: Rachmaninoff influenced...

Daniel wrote:Do you know the story of the "Warsaw concerto"? :wink:

It's from a WWII movie soundtrack..."Suicide Squadron". The producers of the film wanted SVR to provide something along the lines of a piano concerto but were unable to convince him to do so. :wink:
by StewH
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:58 pm
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Hello, All
Replies: 23
Views: 20606

Re: Hello, All

Rachboy--Are you sure you're not referring to the clarinet solo in the last movement? :wink:
by StewH
Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:23 pm
Topic: Hello, All
Replies: 23
Views: 20606

Re: Hello, All

Dan-- Wow! That's a lot to digest, but your comments are full of insight that is missing from any of the analyses I've read of the 4th concerto. And you're correct, the "second" version is one I don't believe I've heard of. Interesting. I agree that the final version is more concise and ti...
by StewH
Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:44 pm
Topic: Tri Russkie Pesni - Three Russian Songs Op. 41
Views: 7879

Re: Tri Russkie Pesni - Three Russian Songs Op. 41

Dan--It appears there's a break in your case; hope you can take advantage of it!
by StewH
Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:45 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Have you heard the story about ...?
Replies: 25
Views: 22263

Re: Have you heard the story about ...?

I don't know if the story itself is true, but Kreisler and Rachmaninof did, in fact, perform together in Carnegie Hall. A few years ago during the summer, while walking past Carnegie on my way to Patelsons, the music store on 56th Street, I noticed that Carnegie Hall had replaced their usual poster...
by StewH
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 am
Topic: Tri Russkie Pesni - Three Russian Songs Op. 41
Views: 7879

Re: Tri Russkie Pesni - Three Russian Songs Op. 41

Dan

I spotted a collectible edition of what you're looking for on Amazon.con....unfortunately the seller is asking $200.00! :?
by StewH
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Magazine: "The Bells II" * In DISTRIBUTION NOW *
Topic: The Bells II reactions
Replies: 9
Views: 13243

Re: The Bells II reactions

Received my Bells II today! Yay! :lol:
by StewH
Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm
Topic: Song lyrics and date
Replies: 8
Views: 9811

Re: Song lyrics and date

Op23#10, I spotted the original recordings on the Chandos label on the Barnes & Noble website, but my version is the Brilliant Classics one, which are reissued copies of the original Chandos recordings, and somewhat less expensive. My understanding is that the Chandos recordings include the tran...
by StewH
Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Rachmaninoff Edition
Replies: 1
Views: 4182

Re: Rachmaninoff Edition

Wow! What a gold mine! :D
by StewH
Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 am

You are welcome! If you ever have time to write down the names of the CD's in you collection, please do! It's so interesting!!! :D You can download the songs of Rachmaninoff here: rusklarom*narod*ru/rahmaninov.htm It is not illegal site! When you download them, change their names as in some cases t...
by StewH
Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:41 pm

Op.23#10, If you think you can afford it, buy the complete songs recorded by Howard Shelley, et. al. on ... I forget the label...it's well worth the investment if you're expanding your SVR CD collection. While I have my favorites in the early Opuses, such as the one you've mentioned, my real favorit...
by StewH
Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:52 am
Topic: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!
Replies: 20
Views: 18237

Re: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Op23#10, Right you are: N. was initially in Zverev's class, but completed her studies in Igumnov's class (at least according to B-L).
by StewH
Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:12 pm

StewH, I think you were right. It is just that Zverev was listed as a teacher of N., and for some reason I thought Igumnov was also. I am glad to know the facts, in case I put something incorrect in whatever I write. Opus23#10 Wait a minute! Zverev was SVR's teacher; Igumnov was Natalya's teacher.....
by StewH
Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Well, it was B-L's book I referenced, as well as Norris's. But I'll check again!

Go to advanced search