Search found 18 matches

by concertoboy
Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: TIME photo's of SVR
Replies: 6
Views: 6802

Re: TIME photo's of SVR

I've been told that they are performing the 4th concerto. 7th or 8th of December 1930 Hi Marianne, You did a great job in researching this - it must be the 4th Concerto, because it is very clearly and definitely identified as being a 1930 photograph of Alfred Eisenstaedt (on the TIME Life site). Th...
by concertoboy
Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:31 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Ormandy Interview about SV R
Replies: 5
Views: 7000

Re: Ormandy Interview about SV R

Marianne, This Ormandy interview link has not worked for what seems like 1 or 2 years. I had to figure out a new link myself, rather intuitively - but I did and it works: http://www*library*upenn*edu slash media slash music slash ormandy slash ormandya1.rm (just replace the * with . and "slash&...
by concertoboy
Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 am
Topic: Do I hear R's voice on Naxos reissue of recordings Vol 2
Replies: 2
Views: 4947

Re: Do I hear R's voice on Naxos reissue of recordings Vol 2

This is not Mozart's Ronda alla turca - it is the Beethoven/Rubinstein/Rachmaninoff Turkish March from the Ruins of Athens :-) you can hear the comment on the old original 78's (which are unedited of course) or the naxos volume 2 of the Rachmaninoff solo recordings, but not the BMG box set. Also, I ...
by concertoboy
Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:35 am
Topic: Organ Concerto project?
Replies: 3
Views: 4853

Re: Organ Concerto project?

I agree, no organ piece or concerto exists. Today, however, I received a definite response from the Library of Congress which has the Rachmaninoff Archive which was created by his wife Nathalie and daughter Princess Irina, grand-daughter Princess Sophie. There was a request sent to Rachmaninoff by C...
by concertoboy
Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Organ Concerto project?

Well, I've heard back from one of the foremost Rachmaninoff scholars, a man who always amazes me with his scholarship and he wrote me the following - I am awaiting more information regarding what he says, sources and references, so we'[ll see how this information turns out - read below: "Dear S...
by concertoboy
Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:00 am

Organ Concerto project?

Someone wrote on Youtube that Rachmaninoff was working on an organ concerto for an organist named Charles Marie Courboin. I have never heard of any organ concerto in the Rachmaninoff litterature - it seems like a farfetched story, but I was provided with the following excerpt from a magazine (I have...
by concertoboy
Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:11 am
Topic: Do I hear R's voice on Naxos reissue of recordings Vol 2
Replies: 2
Views: 4947

Do I hear R's voice on Naxos reissue of recordings Vol 2

Hi everyone, I have always wondered what it would be like if we got to hear what Rachmaninoff had to say immediately after recording a piece - that is, if the disc-cutting lathe continued recording sound long after the music stopped, or impromptu remarks which are made on spoiled takes - in Rachmani...
by concertoboy
Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:35 pm
Topic: Rachmaninoff's Locust NJ home
Replies: 5
Views: 8207

Re: Rachmaninoff's Locust NJ home

There are photos of Rachmaninoff relaxing in a hamoc at the home he found in Locust Point. One appears in Bertennson and Leyda's biography as well as a photo of Chaliapin as a guest. The Moscow Arts Theatre visited Locust Point and Chaliapin entertained everybody after dinner, until 2 in the morning...
by concertoboy
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 am
Topic: Rachmaninoff and the conductors
Views: 5121

Re: Rachmaninoff and the conductors

Don't forget Dr. Frederick Stock of Chicago - he was one of Rachmaninoff's conductors too. Rachmaninoff performed with Safonov as well as Siloti. The list is probably pretty extensive.
by concertoboy
Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 am
Topic: Rachmaninoff and the Pianola
Replies: 8
Views: 13489

Re: Rachmaninoff and the Pianola

Thanks for your post - I know this recording very well from Rex Lawson's cd The Virtuoso Pianolist (I suppose you are Rex - I am Aspergershawn from another site on which we exchanged messages). I like to hear the two piano versions of works such as the Paganini Rhapsody - I am going to perform that ...
by concertoboy
Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 61
Views: 63916

Re: Rare photos

Here is one which I am almost certain is unknown to most people - Princess Sophie Wolkonsky in the 1960's aboard the SS Argentina being presented with a prize for winning "the grand derby". I can't upload it, but there is a link to the website which includes this photo. Very lovely photo -...
by concertoboy
Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm
Topic: Descendants of Rachmaninoff
Replies: 0
Views: 7602

Descendants of Rachmaninoff

Princess Sophie Wolkonsky was R's grand-daughter (her mother was R's daughter, Princess Irina Wolkonsky). I have found some photos of her which members here will find interesting. There is a photo of her as a very young child sitting on the piano as Rachmaninoff plays; one of her with R and her firs...
by concertoboy
Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 pm
Topic: Harvest of Sorrow: The Memories of Sergei Rachmaninoff
Replies: 25
Views: 21715

Harvest of Sorrow film

I recently got this dvd and am very impressed by it. The home movie footage of Rachmaninoff and his family is wonderful. The music performances are wonderful too (quite a representative selection from his body of work. I found the text spoken by Sir John Gielgud was very amateurish - full of inconsi...
by concertoboy
Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:12 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Rachmaninoff Piano concerto No.3 for two pianos
Replies: 10
Views: 9532

re recording

But this recording does not sound very good - I think it is just a midi version
by concertoboy
Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:09 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Rachmaninoff Piano concerto No.3 for two pianos
Replies: 10
Views: 9532

two piano version of concerto no 3 (recording)

yes it exists, not allowed.com/Rachmaninoff-Prem ... B00003ZAH4

I had this recording once and found it interesting to hear the two pianos.

Go to advanced search