Search found 27 matches

by pianola
Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:18 pm
Forum: S.V.Rachmaninoff's Legacy
Topic: Rachmaninoff Plays Live at the Royal Festival Hall
Replies: 0
Views: 2988

Rachmaninoff Plays Live at the Royal Festival Hall

This is to give you all advance notice that Rachmaninoff will be playing live on a modern Steinway concert grand, by means of his recorded piano rolls, in a two-hour concert on 7th February 2015, on the main stage of the Royal Festival Hall in London. The concert includes the European premiere of hi...
by pianola
Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:40 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Magazine: "The Bells II" * In DISTRIBUTION NOW *
Topic: The Bells II
Replies: 4
Views: 5806

Re: The Bells II

Hi Rachboy, It's either spam, or more likely a mistake, and it has nothing to do with Rachmaninoff. If you Google the text, you'll find that it comes from a Czech radio forum, and was originally posted on 9th August last year. Here is the link: http://www.radio-forum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=565 ...
by pianola
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Nerves
Replies: 4
Views: 15003

Re: Nerves

Dear Zane and Marianne, I have been following this thread with great interest, not least because almost the whole of my life has been spent correcting similar misinformation with regard to the player piano, which is the most widely, and indeed wilfully, misunderstood instrument in the world, as far ...
by pianola
Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 pm
Forum: Suggestions and Improvements
Topic: Winding-up of the Rachmaninoff Society
Replies: 1
Views: 3219

Winding-up of the Rachmaninoff Society

I'm very concerned that the Rachmaninoff Society has announced that it will cease to exist from the middle of June 2013, and especially that there is no specific message about it on this forum. Rachmaninoff is the central composer of my musical life, and I cannot believe that his musical legacy is i...
by pianola
Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm
Topic: Rachmaninoff and the Pianola
Replies: 8
Views: 13491

Re: Rachmaninoff and the Pianola

One more tiny piece of documentation regarding Rachmaninoff's sojourn in Dresden has finally come to light on the web, in that the Saxon State and University Library has recently put one or two more city address books online. Here is Serge, the Komponist, in his GG (Gartengebäude) at Sidonienstrasse...
by pianola
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:02 am
Topic: Legacy
Replies: 2
Views: 4088

Re: Legacy

Linda, if you live near London, come to the Festival Hall on 15 February. At 7.30 pm the LPO will play the 3rd Concerto and the 2nd Symphony, with Simon Trpceski and Yannick Nézet-Séguin, and at 6 pm Dimitri Mayboroda will play the 1st Sonata. My wife and I will be there - we could toast our departe...
by pianola
Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 pm
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Researching my family history Conus-Rachmaninoff
Replies: 3
Views: 4806

Re: Researching my family history Conus-Rachmaninoff

Hello Serge, Since no-one else has replied to you, I shall take the plunge! It's good that some members of a composer's family should play their part in his forum, and especially in the case of Rachmainoff, whose family clearly meant such a lot to him. You will see elsewhere that I tried unsuccessfu...
by pianola
Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 pm
Topic: Racmaninoff's appearances in London
Replies: 11
Views: 12687

Re: Racmaninoff's appearances in London

Marianne quoted a post earlier in this thread, which I wrote a few years ago for the forum at Pianostreet. It has to do with the English concert pianist, Phyllis Sellick, recalling that Rachmaninoff was so moved by Vaughan Williams' "Serenade to Music" that he felt obliged to leave the con...
by pianola
Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 pm
Topic: The Ten Greatest Pianists of All Time
Views: 3657

Re: The Ten Greatest Pianists of All Time

I don't disagree with Rachmaninoff's position in the list, because that is where he is for me. However, I do think that such polls, with the epithet, "of all time," are rather silly! How about Chopin and Liszt, for example, but of course they came before recording had been invented. For al...
by pianola
Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Rachmaninoff's Concert Programs
Replies: 7
Views: 9394

Re: Rachmaninoff's Concert Programs

Could I ask why the first post in this thread has been amended to disallow the link to Ruth Laredo's select but interesting resource of Rachmaninoff concert materials? In the hope that it has occurred by mistake, may I repeat the link, which is:

http://www.ruthlaredo.com/rach.htm
by pianola
Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 pm
Topic: Rachmaninoff and Steinways
Views: 2733

Rachmaninoff and Steinways

There must be many aspects of the relationship between Rachmaninoff and Steinways that are worthy of discussion. One element that may have caused tensions is the fact that he recorded music rolls for Ampico, who did not include the Steinway pianos in their range. I have an internal Artists' List fro...
by pianola
Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Rachmaninoff Live - concerts, broadcasts etc
Replies: 25
Views: 23576

Royal Festival Hall, London - Friday 15 February 2013

RACHMANINOFF - Piano Concerto no. 3 RACHMANINOFF - Symphony no. 2 London Philharmonic Orchestra Yannick Nézet-Séguin - conductor Simon Trpceski - piano Yannick is the new Music Director of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Music Director of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Principal Guest Con...
by pianola
Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 am
Topic: Rachmaninoff Sculpture at Steinway Hall
Views: 10306

Re: Rachmaninoff Sculpture at Steinway Hall

http://www.pianolist.org/rachmaninoff/konenkov2.jpg Here is the other view, from the front. I would say that I miss the animation of the eyes, and there is a feeling of heroic granite, which doesn't square with the intimacy of Rachmaninoff's music or his style of playing. I have a feeling that Pade...
by pianola
Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 am
Topic: Rachmaninoff Sculpture at Steinway Hall
Views: 10306

Re: Rachmaninoff Sculpture at Steinway Hall

http://www.pianolist.org/rachmaninoff/konenkov1.jpg I have two photos of the clay model that Konenkov made prior to casting the bronze. Unfortunately they are quite large, and I only have an A4 scanner, so they have to go through twice. There is therefore a slight line in the middle, and I've done ...
by pianola
Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:26 pm
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 61
Views: 63918

Re: Rare photos

http://www.pianolist.org/rachmaninoff/svr_piano_with_cigarette_1924.jpg There is no date on this one, but the photographer was Hay Wrightson, and one from the same session was sold by Swann Galleries in New York in November 2005, and signed and dated 1924 by Rachmaninoff. Hay Wrightson was a London...

Go to advanced search