Search found 79 matches

by Daniel
Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 pm
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Hello, All
Replies: 23
Views: 19830

Re: Hello, All

For me that clarinet solo is a clear and direct link to the 3rd movement of the 2nd Symphony. I'm still trying to figure out the catch behind this...
by Daniel
Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: Rachmaninoff influenced...
Replies: 6
Views: 6859

Re: Rachmaninoff influenced...

en*wikipedia*org/wiki/Warsaw_Concerto Since Rachmaninoff declined the request of the movie producers, they sought someone able to write "Rachmaninoff-like" concerto. Stubborn producers... :D So we got the "Warsaw Concerto", with the co-contribution of Richard Roy Douglas. Everyon...
by Daniel
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: Rachmaninoff influenced...
Views: 6859

Re: Rachmaninoff influenced...

Do you know the story of the "Warsaw concerto"? :wink:
by Daniel
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:07 pm
Topic: Hello, All
Replies: 23
Views: 19830

Re: Hello, All

DanNYC, thank you for your thoughts! Music is beyond logic in many ways. Logic tells me the latter 4th is better balanced. All my other senses tell me the original 4th is more sincere, and that's why I appreciate this version. Moreover, the original 4th sounds to me as the music of a balanced and ev...
by Daniel
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:52 am
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Have you heard the story about ...?
Replies: 25
Views: 21306

Re: Have you heard the story about ...?

...He told me that when a person uses only their ears, they realize how much extra noise they make, that so much energy is spent pointlessly and it completely changes how one hears their music produce, and uses their hands accordingly. Dinu Lipatti, a great Romanian pianist (who unfortunately died ...
by Daniel
Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:15 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: R.'s Quote about Symphonic Dances
Replies: 4
Views: 6084

Re: R.'s Quote about Symphonic Dances

I guess this not of much help, but from the very beginning a lot of sections of the Symphonic Dances gave me the impression Rachmaninoff was telling us about past wonderful times which, obviously, were never to return... What you wrote comes for me as a confirmation. And I must admit I didn't rememb...
by Daniel
Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Magazine: "The Bells II" * In DISTRIBUTION NOW *
Topic: The Bells II reactions
Replies: 9
Views: 12891

Re: The Bells II reactions

I cannot imagine that either, RACHBOY... I mean I can't wait to debate those subjects, with as many members as possible! They're hot enough to fire our imaginative "ideas reactor".
by Daniel
Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:08 pm
Topic: Song lyrics and date
Replies: 8
Views: 9447

Re: Song lyrics and date

It's op.4 no.4, around 1892.
by Daniel
Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm
Forum: Rachmaninoff Magazine: "The Bells II" * In DISTRIBUTION NOW *
Topic: The Bells II reactions
Replies: 9
Views: 12891

Re: The Bells II reactions

So, after impatiently waiting to see if the post would deliver the magazine at my new address, there it was, right in my hands! In order to avoid any subjective ranking of articles, I will discuss them in the order they are to be found in the magazine. All those who know a little bit of Rachmaninoff...
by Daniel
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:40 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Rachmaninov and balalaika
Replies: 3
Views: 5208

Re: Rachmaninov and balalaika

Well, all the best to Vladimir Urbanovich and we're looking forward to seeing the new website!
Ia vstretil vas - what doses it mean - I...

As for the links, I was only able to listen to the last one. The first seven downloaded, but with 0 size...
by Daniel
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm
Forum: Best Recordings
Topic: Vespers
Replies: 13
Views: 17532

Re: Vespers

I bought my 2 LP set of Sveshnikov's recording of the Vespers from an antiques shop. They were being kept in some sort of a dusty wardrobe and I paid the equivalent of $2. Fortunately, after carefully cleaning the records, they proved their Russian toughness: a really clean sound, beyond my expectat...
by Daniel
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 pm
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 60
Views: 61041

Re: Rare photos

Am I wrong or are they flying a kite in one of the above photos? And there are some unoccupied seats at the table. Maybe if we hurry a little bit back in time...
Wonderful photos, so different from the commercial ones.
Once more, Marianne is our champion!
by Daniel
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Notice Rachmaninoff's pictures at the piano. Opus23#10 Exactly my point. There are moments when your eyes are needed just for "fine tuning". At least that's how I feel. However seeing Michelangeli or Horowitz executing huge leaps without looking at all at that far point on the keyboard ma...
by Daniel
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 pm
Topic: MISHKIN PHOTO OF RACHMANINOFF
Views: 7005

Re: MISHKIN PHOTO OF RACHMANINOFF

Now that's the right size for a Rachmaninoff photo!!!
by Daniel
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:14 pm

Hah! That seems really useful, easy and relaxing in the following situations: - big intervals - big leaps - adjacent notes in some chords that have to played with a single finger - crossed hands (in combination with the above?... :twisted: ) :D :D :D Anyway, you can't possibly visually follow all yo...

Go to advanced search