Search found 94 matches

by StewH
Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:37 pm
Forum: Best Recordings
Topic: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR
Replies: 12
Views: 12203

Re: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR

Thanks, Mikhail. I've seen a lot of reviews of other artists playing Rachmaninoff's preludes and etudes, but nothing much about Mr. Shelley's recordings. There may be certain pianists, Richter or Horowitz, for example, who, on certain of the preludes or etudes, may give a definitive performance; how...
by StewH
Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 pm
Topic: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR
Replies: 12
Views: 12203

Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR

Are Mr. Shelley's recordings as good as they are reviewed on Amazon.com? Just wondering...considering buying the complete set, especially the songs.
by StewH
Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:28 pm
Topic: Ovchinnikov's recording of Etudes-Tableaux
Replies: 2
Views: 4720

Ovchinnikov's recording of Etudes-Tableaux

I'm impressed with this recording on several levels--musicianship, recording quality, the technical prowess of the artist, etc. And although I also own Ashkenazy's versions, I do enjoy Ovchinnikov's interpreations of several of the etudes--the Op. 39 F sharp minor I think particularly stands out. Bu...
by StewH
Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:52 am
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Hello, All
Replies: 23
Views: 20895

Hello, All

Hello, All--Nice to be a member and hope to be able to contribute. **Edit: I first became acquainted with Rachmaninoff's music when I was about 4 years old. I still remember listening to my dad's 78rpm recordings of the Paganini Rhapsody played by SVR himself, and "The Bells", though I can...

Go to advanced search