Search found 94 matches

by StewH
Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:53 am
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...
Replies: 17
Views: 16513

Re: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...

Daniel wrote:In terms of orchestration, does anyone here know Trois Chansons Russes op. 41?

Sure! I have two LPs with the songs on them. Haven't listened to them in several years, though. The orchestration is reminiscent of the Symphonic Dances.
by StewH
Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:56 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: Nonexistent "Smerkalos" Song Sheet Music
Replies: 6
Views: 7612

Re: Nonexistent "Smerkalos" Song Sheet Music

Marianne, I, too, am looking forward to visiting your site--best of luck!
by StewH
Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:52 pm
Topic: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...
Replies: 17
Views: 16513

Re: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...

I must agree with Daniel here. SVR's orchestration of works like the Symph. #3, the Symphonic Dances, even The Bells (!) (and listen to the orchestration in the piano concertos...!), show every bit the skills of Rimsky-Korsakov; it's just that each was after a different color, a unique exposition of...
by StewH
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 pm
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: The best Concerto
Replies: 8
Views: 8774

Re: The best Concerto

The 3rd is not just a concerto. It's story, a novel if you wish. But one must admit that the original version of the 4th is above. Daniel, Now you know how much I like the 4th, but I'm not sure I would rate it higher than the 3rd. It (the original 4th) is certainly a step forward and beyond the 3rd...
by StewH
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:40 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 61
Views: 65008

Re: Rare photos

These are great photos! Thanks much! I have a photo-portrait of a straight-on face shot of SVR, which I've not seen anywhere. It belonged to my father. I would post it, but would need to scan it first, and I don't have a scanner, or any way to copy the photo in order to post it on-line. :(
by StewH
Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:47 pm
Topic: Hello, All
Replies: 23
Views: 21235

Re: Hello, All

Is it me, or is that a big orchestra in this recording of the original 4th concerto?

And, yea, I would stand in line for tickets to a live performance of the 4th... :D
by StewH
Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:33 pm

Have any of you ever seen the interview with Vladmir Ashkenazy where he speaks about the 4th Piano Concerto? He spoke of it in comparison to the first three, and said that he believed it wasn't as successful and powerful as the previous piano concerti were. For me, its especially grasping, especial...
by StewH
Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:20 pm

My recording of the original 1st and 4th concertos arrived today, and after listening to the 4th twice in a row! , I must say I'm delighted both by the composition itself and the playing by Mr. Ghindin. The last movement alone is worth the purchase price. This is a must have recording for Rachmanino...
by StewH
Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for the tip, Daniel. I will definitely look it up! :)
by StewH
Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:31 pm
Forum: Best Recordings
Topic: Ovchinnikov's recording of Etudes-Tableaux
Replies: 2
Views: 4767

Re: Ovchinnikov's recording of Etudes-Tableaux

Daniel wrote:Just $4,97!!! Thank you for signalling this, I'll definitely order this one.

Daniel--I don't think you'll be disappointed! As I said above, I enjoy several of these pieces. Some folks may quibble about a tempo too slow here or there--I don't know.....But Mr. O. plays some real gems here imo.
by StewH
Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 am

This is what I'm currently listening too! Op. 38 especially gives me shivers! In no. 6, when the lyrics end ("I cry") you feel like the piano is going to explode. And in a few moments you get to one of Rachmaninoff's most inspired endings (in my oppinion): everything just evaporates. What...
by StewH
Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:16 pm

*** Small world indeed! I hope your daughter and son-in-law enjoy their stay in San Antonio. Opus 23 #10 Well, God willing and they aren't deployed someplace unexpectedly, they are supposed to stick around Lackland for the next 4 years or so. And next spring my son will be joining them in order to ...
by StewH
Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:27 am
Forum: Best Recordings
Topic: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR
Replies: 12
Views: 12368

Re: Howard Shelley's recordings of SVR

DO buy the complete set! Howard Shelley is such a fine and sensible pianist! I'll stop here, in order not to be accused of some form of hidden advertising... In fact I have ordered, and just received, Mr. Shelley's recording of the complete songs and am most impressed with both the singing and the ...
by StewH
Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:15 am

Op. 23#10, thanks for your kind words, but I don't know if I would characterize myself as an "expert" on Rachmaninoff; but I'm surely a devoted student and fan and am pleasantly surprised that he has gained such a world-wide recognition: "Serge Rachmaninoff...has taken his place in mu...
by StewH
Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:50 pm

Hello, Daniel. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I somehow missed your post. Which Rachmaninoff piece is my favorite? There are so many! In no particular order, however, my favorites would have to include "The Bells" (of course), the Paganini Rhapsody (yup), the 4th Concerto (not to ...

Go to advanced search