Search found 180 matches

by opus23#10
Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 am
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: Interview with Alexander Rachmaninoff
Replies: 6
Views: 7216

Re: Interview with Alexander Rachmaninoff

Rachboy, I would love to see and hear the interview with Alexander Rachmaninoff, but could not figure out how to access it. I tried to click on the black screen, but that did not work. Then I tried clicking several other places -- to no avail. At one point, a pop-up requested my name and password. H...
by opus23#10
Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:44 am
Forum: Recordings - CD/DVDs
Topic: CELLO SONATA - BEST RECORDINGS?
Replies: 4
Views: 7026

Re: CELLO SONATA - BEST RECORDINGS?

Cameron, this reply is rather late, but I want to mention how much I enjoy a digitally remastered CD featuring William Kapell on piano, with Edmund Kurtz playing the cello part of SVR's cello sonata. Fortunately, I was able to check this CD out of the public library. The CD is volume seven in a coll...
by opus23#10
Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:14 pm
Forum: The Life of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 60
Views: 58577

Re: Rare photos

Zane, it is good to hear from you. Thanks for posting the picture of SVR's lovely granddaughter. Her musical talent and singing role were news to me. She adored her grandfather; no wonder! Lately, I have been listening to Youtube postings suggested my Marianne, a few at a time, since I am overwhelme...
by opus23#10
Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:46 am
Forum: S.V.Rachmaninoff's Legacy
Topic: Concerto No.2 and Vocalise, Jan. 12 '11 Concert
Replies: 0
Views: 3158

Concerto No.2 and Vocalise, Jan. 12 '11 Concert

Lang Lang will perform Rachmaninoff's Concerto No.2 with the San Antonio Symphony under the direction of Sebastian Lang-Lessing, on Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. The program will begin with Rachmaninoff's Vocalise , followed by Beethoven's Symphony No. 4. For information, go to SASYMPHONY.OR...
by opus23#10
Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:58 am
Topic: Chronology of Rachmaninoff's performances
Replies: 17
Views: 15513

Re: Chronology of Rachmaninoff's performances

Marianne, you must be delighted with the two Rachmaninoff books you received :!: Society members will be very interested in the concert programs when you post them. It is amazing how much room they will take up in the third book. Just imagine Rachmaninoff performing in so many concerts and recitals ...
by opus23#10
Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:56 pm
Forum: Meet & Greet!
Topic: Kensico
Replies: 9
Views: 11964

Re: Kensico

There is an interesting web site where a person can find out where composers or other famous people are buried. However, the board does not allow me to post it. You might be able to find it on your computer by Googling find a grave in the usual format for a .com Then, you just type in the name of a ...
by opus23#10
Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:16 am
Forum: S.V.Rachmaninoff's Legacy
Topic: Godowski transcription
Replies: 4
Views: 5895

In defense of transcriptions (re:Godowsky)

Forum browsers probably realize that Rachmaninoff went out of vogue with some conservative intellectuals for a few decades. However, another great pianist and composer who vanished from the musical consciousness until recently is Leopold Godowsky, friend of SVR. Both of these men wrote piano transcr...
by opus23#10
Sat May 29, 2010 1:07 am
Forum: Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)
Topic: More Rachmaninoff on Youtube
Replies: 2
Views: 4118

More Rachmaninoff on Youtube

Youtube is a galaxy of Rachmaninoff information and music! I decided to Google Henselt, piano composer, and got SVR playing Si oiseau j'etais , one of my favorite piano works, which is also in the "box" by RCA Red Seal. Other pieces from the same source are are on this site too. Still more...
by opus23#10
Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm
Forum: Suggestions and Improvements
Topic: Music on home page of society
Replies: 5
Views: 8016

Music on home page of society

When viewers/listeners go to the Society's home page, they see the composer performing before an audience, but they hear orchestral music from the Symphonic Dances. It seems to me that piano music would be more appropriate in this instance. One of the more familiar themes from Concerto No. 2 would a...
by opus23#10
Sat May 08, 2010 2:29 am
Topic: TWO SIDES OF A MAN: Rachmaninoff
Replies: 3
Views: 5485

Re: TWO SIDES OF A MAN: Rachmaninoff

Zane, I don't know anything about the RACHMANINOFF SCREENPLAY. Please let me know if I have missed something, or if I have yet to see it. If you have devoted a third of your life to Rachmaninoff, it is no wonder that you are such an authority.
Opus23#10
by opus23#10
Fri May 07, 2010 6:43 pm
Topic: TWO SIDES OF A MAN: Rachmaninoff
Replies: 3
Views: 5485

Re: TWO SIDES OF A MAN: Rachmaninoff

Zane, you have really had some astonishing musical experiences related to Rachmaninoff! Imagine being in his California home (a shrine), and discussing him with Ormandy! *** Why would anyone want to cut the ossia in the third concerto? :( *** Your friend who was at a Rachmaninoff concert quoted the ...
by opus23#10
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:36 am
Topic: Rare photos
Replies: 60
Views: 58577

Re: Rare photos

Valeretin, if you are just now starting to study the life of Rachmaninoff, you are in for some wonderful reading. The composer's own letters, as well as letters written to him, are in the biography by Bertensson and Leyda. This is just one of the good books about Rachmaninoff. The material in the me...
by opus23#10
Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 pm
Topic: Symphony No. 3 on Youtube
Views: 6287

Symphony No.3

Great! Youtube is amazing - and terribly habit forming. :D
Opus23#10
by opus23#10
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:37 am

Re: Symphony No. 3 on Youtube

The link where I found the picture of SVR and granddaughter is not allowed on the forum, unfortunately. To arrive at this site, however, I first went to Google and typed in Youtube. Then, I typed in Rachmaninoff Symphony No.3. There were a number of options, and I clicked on one with a picture of Ra...
by opus23#10
Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:13 am

Symphony No. 3 on Youtube

In preparation for an upcoming concert featuring R.'s Symphony No. 3 in a minor, I went to Youtube and typed in the composer's name and the work. There is an excellent video (with still picture) of R. conducting the 1st movement of the symphony. This movement is very familiar, yet I don't know where...

Go to advanced search