Hello everyone, I need your help...

The events, schools of music, pupils, great performers, and all other possible avenues of contribution that Rachmaninoff inspired, The continuation of his influence in modern society, culturally, musically, and intellectually.
eyal

Hello everyone, I need your help...

Postby eyal » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:12 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I am working on a seminar work for my musicology BA on Tel Aviv University, and I was wondering if any of you can point me towards academic articles which includes musical analysis of SR's works,
I am kind of desparate becuase of the lack of available electronic articles on the subject...

I actually have to write a paper on a music piece which I'll have to analyse and relate to some backround or find correlation to SR other works or other russian composers' works.

I thought of going on a prelude,
Does anyone have any suggetion?
any comment will help...
thanks in advance

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:30 am

If it's up to you to choose a work by S.R. then why choose a prelude. Must it be a short work? I'd choose the 2nd Symphony or the Paganini Variations or the Cello Sonata or something like that if I were you.

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:33 pm

morakeo wrote:If it's up to you to choose a work by S.R. then why choose a prelude. Must it be a short work? I'd choose the 2nd Symphony or the Paganini Variations or the Cello Sonata or something like that if I were you.

YIKES!!! They're not doing a PHD DISERTATION! LOL!! Undergrad level, I'm sure it doesn't have to be so huge. My goodness....a symphony? You could write books on that!

Although I agree about the cello sonata. Could be very interesting. :)

Eyal, If you go with preludes. Why not do one of the entire opus sets?

xoxo
Jessica
"He who does not love music is not yet human; he who loves it only is only half human; but he who loves and practices it - he is fully human."

-Goethe

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:17 am

You just made me laugh. I'm sorry. I didn't know... Well, if you can write about one prelude that's fine. What about the Paganini Variations? :wink:

Marie-Lyne

Postby Marie-Lyne » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:37 pm

The prelude in B minor could be a good one, it was Rachmaninoff's favorite. It's one of my favorites preludes and if you can watch the DVD about great pianists of the 20th century, there is Moisevitch talking a little bit about this prelude.
Être vaut mieux qu'avoir.

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:49 pm

Sorry for the late answer. Yes, I know that DVD and it's marvellous. How did it go? Did you finally work on the B minor?

GirishLaikhra

Re: Hello everyone, I need your help...

Postby GirishLaikhra » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Hello everyone i am completely new to this forum.
Interested in learning many new things. Hope we all will share our
knowledge and talk about different concepts in this forum.
-------
Girish
-------
Pilgrim Smykker
Last edited by GirishLaikhra on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

opus23#10

Welcome!

Postby opus23#10 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:43 am

Welcome to the forum, Girish! After reading your last post, I imagine your country is very beautiful. You will enjoy communicating with people all over the world via this forum.*** Do you play a musical instrument? Since you have joined this forum, I imagine you are an admirer of Rachmaninoff. There is much to learn about this amazing composer, and the forum is a good place to start. Youtube is a good place to hear Rachmaninoff's music -- and even some of his own performances. *** Since you have asked for help from forum members, here are a few suggestions:
1. If you can access Amazon.com, type in Rachmaninoff and order some of his piano works, such as Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini or Concerto No.3. Perhaps you are already familiar with those works. If so, try his Sonata for Cello and Piano, or his Symphonic Dances. The more you listen to this music, the more you will appreciate it.
2. Read Sergei Rachmaninoff, A Lifetime in Music by Bertensson and Leyda. This biography tells the life story of a great man, composer, and pianist. The work is filled with his letters to friends, family members, and fellow musicians -- a real classic.
Opus23#10 :D

Return to “S.V.Rachmaninoff's Legacy”