Rachmaninoff's Concert Programs

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
Jessica

Rachmaninoff's Concert Programs

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:31 pm

I just found this link, looks pretty interesting. Ruth Laredo has some of his programs, some pictures, etc... :)

not allowed.com/rach.htm
"He who does not love music is not yet human; he who loves it only is only half human; but he who loves and practices it - he is fully human."

-Goethe

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:17 am

Wow. I haven't ever seen any of these. The only program I've seen is in Carnegie Hall's Museum in New York. Just look at those programs... :shock:

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:15 pm

No kidding. They sure don't make pianists like that anymore....

:cry:
"He who does not love music is not yet human; he who loves it only is only half human; but he who loves and practices it - he is fully human."

-Goethe

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:53 pm

You mean pianists don't make programs like those anymore?

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:58 am

Well, both. Not the same programs, but not the same kind of artists either. :) I think pianists around today are fantastic, but not at the same level that was around in the Golden Age. Maybe I'm spoiled, I've been listening to too many recordings of Rachmaninoff, Rubinstein, Moiseiwitsch, etc...

Brendel is one of the exceptions. :) God, If I could play half as well as he does..................

-Goethe

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:47 am

Oh, I see. Yes, I agree. Todays musicians mostly focus on virtuosity and technique and that's it. But technique is the way of interpretation as Horowitz says. I also listen to a lot of 'old' recordings. Maybe too old Debussy, Ravel, de Pachmann, Hofmann, Cortot... Klemperer, Munch, Mitropoulos, Furtwaengler... No, you are not spoiled :) These are the musicians that teach us. Listening to Thibaudet's Debussy when you got Cortot is "stupid" let's say. Listening to Rattle's Bruckner when you got Celibidache, the same thing. These old musicians are authentic, pure, honest and above all humans that adore what they do. Music in their time was a way of living and not a form of entertainment or simply another job as it is today. These people were decent towards their audience. They had a mission and they had to accomplish it doing their very best.

pianola

Re: Rachmaninoff's Concert Programs

Postby pianola » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Could I ask why the first post in this thread has been amended to disallow the link to Ruth Laredo's select but interesting resource of Rachmaninoff concert materials? In the hope that it has occurred by mistake, may I repeat the link, which is:

http://www.ruthlaredo.com/rach.htm

Marianne

Re: Rachmaninoff's Concert Programs

Postby Marianne » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:56 am

Thank you very much for such a link!

Here is a concert program dating 1912, February 2nd.

It is written that the concert was to start at 1.30 pm and there were 3 parts

The conductor was Sergey Kousevitcsky.
1. Rimskiy-Korsakoff Episode from opera Sadko
2. S.V.Rachmaninoff Second concert (S.V.Rachmaninoff as a soloist)
3. Tchaikovsky Simphony №5.

Grand piano «C. Bechstein» mentioned

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”