Vladimir Ovchinnikov's recording of the Etudes-Tableaux

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
Opus 28

Vladimir Ovchinnikov's recording of the Etudes-Tableaux

Postby Opus 28 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:30 pm

This is really a response to a topic in the "Best Recordings" discussion board, which I was unable to reply to because it was 'locked'. Reading that post, I was reminded that I have this wonderful recording and felt like digging it out and listening again.

I personally feel that due to the complexities and extreme density of Rachmaninov's piano writing, performers often tend to focus on the undoubted drama and intense emotion in his work. However, listening to the composer’s own playing, one is also aware of an approach that is both poetic and acutely rational, and it is incredibly exciting when this combination serves to hold back the underlying emotional force until exactly the right moment.

I'd say Ovchinnikov’s recording exemplifies this. Without wishing to give the wrong impression that he is one of those ‘precious’ musicians who lose the bigger picture whilst fussing over every tiny detail, the rare clarity and poetry with which he breaks down the thick texture is wonderful and makes this recording last well beyond the first listening. I find new things each time I listen to it. A very vivid and hypnotic effect.

Op33 No.3 is on right now as I write – How wonderfully he handles the transition from the lugubrious C minor opening to the C major second half – The slowly descending melody gently floating over a delicatissimo accompaniment. Beautiful!

opus23#10

Re: Vladimir Ovchinnikov's recording - other releases

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:35 am

Opus 28, at first glance I did a double-take, wondering if I had actually forgotten a recent posting I might have made (since our names are similar). :? I am glad to hear about the quality of the Ovchinnikov interpretations of the Etudes Tableaux, since I have only the Etudes Tableaux that SVR recorded on the Red Seal label. These performances are certainly models of precision! *** On what label is your Ovchinnikov recording?

RECENT RELEASES:
Rachmaninov: Nakamatsu - piano, Seaman - conductor. Works are Concerto No. 3 and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Harmonia Mundi label.
Amazon gives this a 5 star rating. Has anyone on the Forum heard the CD?

Conductor Christopher Seaman has also joined pianist Olga Kern in a recording of works by Tchaikovsky - a composer honored by Rachmaninoff fans. Harmonia Label.
Opus23#10

Opus 28

Re: Vladimir Ovchinnikov's recording of the Etudes-Tableaux

Postby Opus 28 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

The recording is re-released on the EMI Classics label and is available in the UK via:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/765173/Etudes-Tableaux-Opp-33-39/Product.html

I can recommend other recordings of Op33 and Op39 separately, but this is my favourite collection of both sets together.

Sorry to cause chagrin at my login name. I saw yours and "op.32,no.10" too and thought it was a trend to use opus numbers so continued in that vein. Too late to change now...

Lilacs

Postby Lilacs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:48 am

I have this recording too. I think it's wonderful.

kurtdaniel

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Opus 28 wrote:The recording is re-released on the EMI Classics label and is available in the UK via:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/765173/Etudes-Tableaux-Opp-33-39/Product.html

I can recommend other recordings of Op33 and Op39 separately, but this is my favourite collection of both sets together.

Sorry to cause chagrin at my login name. I saw yours and "op.32,no.10" too and thought it was a trend to use opus numbers so continued in that vein. Too late to change now...
wow,, thanks for this link. I never knew that this version exists.. i love it, it then inspired me to push on with my piano music lesson.. :)

balo123

Postby balo123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on both those recordings. I just can't seem to find anyone else from around the same time who recorded it. Do you know of any others?
adil

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”