Symphony No. 3 on Youtube

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
opus23#10

Symphony No. 3 on Youtube

Postby opus23#10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:13 am

In preparation for an upcoming concert featuring R.'s Symphony No. 3 in a minor, I went to Youtube and typed in the composer's name and the work. There is an excellent video (with still picture) of R. conducting the 1st movement of the symphony. This movement is very familiar, yet I don't know where else I have heard it. *** Like much of R.'s music, this first movement reminds me of a landscape-- possibly inspired by the Russian steppes, but reminding me of some of the vast, open spaces in the U.S. Nothing "stuffy" about Rachmaninoff!
There are several pictures of the composer, including one I have never seen - SVR and a beautiful young girl who is obviously his granddaughter.
Opus23#10

RACHBOY

Re: Symphony No. 3 on Youtube

Postby RACHBOY » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm

If you find the photo on the web, you can add the link in your post so we can have a look and comment!

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:37 am

The link where I found the picture of SVR and granddaughter is not allowed on the forum, unfortunately. To arrive at this site, however, I first went to Google and typed in Youtube. Then, I typed in Rachmaninoff Symphony No.3. There were a number of options, and I clicked on one with a picture of Rachmaninoff and a very large record. He conducted that symphony in 1939, but I don't know how it was recorded. There were no other pictures there.
After a while, however, a new picture came up showing Rachmaninoff at the piano in concert while the symphony played. Then, several other pictures with which all of us are familiar followed. Finally one of the composer and a lovely young girl appeared. This was the only photo new to me. This was actually a different site, not allowed either. I hope that you can find these sites the way I did. (I wonder who submitted these pictures to Youtube.)
Many Rachmaninoff fans visit these sites, and they have good things to write.
Opus23#10

Opus 28

Postby Opus 28 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Always a pleasure to be reminded of that wonderfully intense recording.
Thanks!

opus23#10

Symphony No.3

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Great! Youtube is amazing - and terribly habit forming. :D
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm

I wish I could see that photo...

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”