Rachmaninov recordings

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
Maxim

Rachmaninov recordings

Postby Maxim » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:13 am

Dear everyone,

I plan to purchase Rachmaninov's Complete Recordings (10 CDs, RCA Golden Seal) and hope it would fill in the gaps in my collection of CDs featuring Rachmaninov as performer. But I don't know what this boxed set leaves out.

Are there any other boxed sets or separate CDs that complement in a substantial way RCA's Complere Recordings?

I know there are discographies of Rachmaninov the composer, but are there any discographies of Rachmaninov the performer?

Thanks,
Maxim
California, U.S.

P.S.

Marianne

Re: Rachmaninov recordings

Postby Marianne » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am

Dear Maxim,

If you would write down the list of works that are performed by SVR on Rachmaninov's Complete Recordings (10 CDs, RCA Golden Seal) it would be easier to sort out what is missing!

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:32 am

Maxim wrote:Dear everyone,

I plan to purchase Rachmaninov's Complete Recordings (10 CDs, RCA Golden Seal) and hope it would fill in the gaps in my collection of CDs featuring Rachmaninov as performer. But I don't know what this boxed set leaves out.

Are there any other boxed sets or separate CDs that complement in a substantial way RCA's Complere Recordings?

I know there are discographies of Rachmaninov the composer, but are there any discographies of Rachmaninov the performer?

Thanks,
Maxim
California, U.S.

P.S.

Maxim,

There is a complete discography of recordings of performances of SVR, including those issued and those rejected. It can be found in Max Harrison's "Rachmaninoff: Life, Works, Recordings". I heartily recommend this book and refer to it often when I want information not found elsewhere in the Rachmaninoff literature.

If I'm not mistaken, the RCA set to which you refer, will include all recordings he made for Victor (later RCA Victor), both acoustic and electrical, but I can't be sure because I don't own the set. He also made recordings for Edison and Bell Telephone and also quite a few piano roll recordings for Ampico. These latter piano roll recordings are not on the RCA cds. However, they are obtainable on separate cds, the most interesting of which are computer generated piano roll reconstructions by Wayne Stahnke. Search amazon.com for Wayne Stahnke and you'll find both cds. They are incredible.

StewH
StewH

kurtdaniel

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 am

I've read good reviews of Rachmaninov concertos by pianist Leif Ove Andsnes. I ended up going a different direction recently picking up two new superb releases of Rachmaninov works. I can apply this pieces in my piano teaching class..

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”