RACHMANINOFF'S PIANO

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
fjgajewski

RACHMANINOFF'S PIANO

Postby fjgajewski » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 pm

My student Melvin Diep and I were invited recently to examine a piano, putatively Rachmaninoff's, which resides at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. We made a pilgrimage to Manhattan posthaste. Melvin played and recorded an Etude-Tableau on the instrument.

The Steinway is kept under lock and key in a practice room. Thanks to the size of the room and open lid, the sound was powerful even when one played leggiero and/or una corda. I suspect the piano would be obstreperous even in a concert hall and wondered whether it displayed its present personality in Rachmaninoff's day.

youtube.com/watch?v=29TMjy53WH0 (clicking "more" displays a link to an interesting article from the NY Times)
Ferdinand Gajewski

RACHBOY

Re: RACHMANINOFF'S PIANO

Postby RACHBOY » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 pm

wow how wonderful! did you like playing it and did you make any photo's?

fjgajewski wrote:My student Melvin Diep and I were invited recently to examine a piano, putatively Rachmaninoff's, which resides at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. We made a pilgrimage to Manhattan posthaste. Melvin played and recorded an Etude-Tableau on the instrument.

The Steinway is kept under lock and key in a practice room. Thanks to the size of the room and open lid, the sound was powerful even when one played leggiero and/or una corda. I suspect the piano would be obstreperous even in a concert hall and wondered whether it displayed its present personality in Rachmaninoff's day.

youtube.com/watch?v=29TMjy53WH0 (clicking "more" displays a link to an interesting article from the NY Times)

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Thank you so much for the record and the article!
Amazing!

I wish there were more classified information about Rachmaninoff's instruments all over the world...

Here is the picture of the piano in the study of Rachmaninoff in his favourite Ivanovka:

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Fantastic. How nice!!!

kurtdaniel

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 am

fjgajewski wrote:My student Melvin Diep and I were invited recently to examine a piano, putatively Rachmaninoff's, which resides at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. We made a pilgrimage to Manhattan posthaste. Melvin played and recorded an Etude-Tableau on the instrument.

thanks for sharing this.. being a Rach fan, his intrument would be of great interest to me. It will inspire me more on my piano music lesson :)

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”