Rachmaninoff Live - concerts, broadcasts etc

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
StewH

Re: Rachmaninoff Live - concerts, broadcasts etc

Postby StewH » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Daniel wrote:I've seen what Ian Flint can do so I can somehow imagine what went on there. I think we should find a way to record these events and share them between members.

I would certainly be in favor of that! :wink:
StewH

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:12 am

Last Wednesday I attended a piano recital. Daniel Goiti (chief at the piano class at the "G. Dima" Music Academy here in Cluj - Napoca) played Mussorgski's Pictures and 5 Rachmaninoff pieces: op. 3 no. 5, op. 33 no. 2, op. 39 nos 2, 3 and 5 (sorry for not writing names, I assume most of you know these).
Once more, I had to admit I still haven't seen Daniel Goiti playing badly. Ever.
It's not the first time I listened to him playing these pieces, and it was so interesting to see he "distilled" them even more as time passed. I particularly enjoyed the A minor no.2 of op. 39, with EACH voice being clearly played (the Dies Irae hidden in the left hand, the main theme, the short outbursts that superimpose in the middle development section...) and with a perfect pianissimo in the end. He made the audience applaud after that even it was clear from the programme that there still was one more etude to play.
I don't know if any of you has ever seen him. He doesn't travel much because of health problems. But if you see his name in a programme, don't miss it.

StewH

Postby StewH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Daniel,

This program sounds fantastic--it even includes a couple of my favorite etudes, especially the one in f# minor. It's always a thrill to hear SVR's works played in a live concert by a competent artist. Thanks for sharing your impressions.
StewH

70percentcocoa

Symphony No.2 on the Southbank - special offer

Postby 70percentcocoa » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:29 pm

I'll put more information on the website when I am back from the Annual Family Christmas Extravaganza (also known as Belgium), but in the meantime, this is to give Society members the heads up on another special offer:

The Purcell School is a school for gifted young musicians (for information on the school please see their website: www.purcell-school.org), based in London, UK.

On 2nd March 2009, the Purcell School Symphony Orchestra will be performing Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Symphony at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. The concert starts at 7.45 pm. We are being offered a pair of complimentary tickets plus the opportunity to purchase 6 further tickets at the discounted price of £5.00 per ticket. The programme will also include a performance Verdi’s Overture, La Forza del Destino and Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 2.

Booking details will be on the website in early January.

70percentcocoa

Re: Symphony No.2 on the Southbank

Postby 70percentcocoa » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Booking details now on the website, as promised

70percentcocoa

Rachmaninoff Concerts in the NL - Songs

Postby 70percentcocoa » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm

I have been informed of the following concerts, which may be of interest to fellow song afficionados:

The 20th Century Song Foundation presents RACHMANINOV – THE LAST ROMANTIC?

Sergei Leiferkus , baritone
Anna Viktorova, mezzo soprano
Netherlands Youth Choir
Reinild Mees , piano
Nina Targan Mouravi , readings

Sunday 8 February 2009 2 pm
Theater Diligentia , Den Haag, tel. (+31) 900 4 104 104
Tuesday 10 February 2009 8.15 pm
Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, tel. (+31) 20 671 83 45
Wednesday 11 February 2009
8.15 pm De Doelen, Rotterdam , tel. (+31) 10 217 17 17

The champion of Russian Song, baritone Sergei Leiferkus, will be joined by a young star of the Bolshoi Theatre, mezzo soprano Anna Viktorova, and by the Netherlands Youth Choir (patron Sir Simon Rattle) in the most versatile song repertoire by Sergei Rachmaninov. Melancholic male songs alternate with dreamy female songs, a duet, a canon, choirsongs and - of course - the well-known vocalise!

lgsochair

Rachmaninov Concert in London, July 5th

Postby lgsochair » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

Shameless plug here for a concert I'm running in London, but thought some of you might enjoy!

London Gay Symphony Orchestra
St John's Smith Square, London SW1P 3HA
5th July @ 7.00pm

Glinka - Russlan and Ludmilla Overture
Rachmaninov - Piano Concert No. 2
Rachmaninov - Symphony No. 3

Conductor: Simon Bowler
Piano: Peter Austin

Tickets are priced at £15 (£10 conc.) and available from not allowed.org.uk or 0207 222 1061

Hope to see some of you there!
Pete - Chairman & Orchestra Manager, LGSO
www.lgso.org.uk

kurtdaniel

Re: Rachmaninov Concert in London, July 5th

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:20 pm

lgsochair wrote:Hi Everyone,

Shameless plug here for a concert I'm running in London, but thought some of you might enjoy!

London Gay Symphony Orchestra
St John's Smith Square, London SW1P 3HA
5th July @ 7.00pm

Glinka - Russlan and Ludmilla Overture
Rachmaninov - Piano Concert No. 2
Rachmaninov - Symphony No. 3

Conductor: Simon Bowler
Piano: Peter Austin

Tickets are priced at £15 (£10 conc.) and available from not allowed.org.uk or 0207 222 1061

Hope to see some of you there!
Pete - Chairman & Orchestra Manager, LGSO
www.lgso.org.uk
Please let us know how it went and what you thought of the music. I'd imagine an all Rachmaninoff concert would be pretty intense. Please also send me some video of this so that i can use it for my piano classes..

70percentcocoa

G minor sonata arranged for viola, 6 Oct, Wigmore Hall, Lond

Postby 70percentcocoa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 pm

It has been brought to my attention that there will be a performance of the Rachmaninoff’s large-scale lyrical Sonata in G minor for Cello and Piano, in a version for viola made by Vadim Borisovsky.

This will take place at the Wigmore Hall, London on Saturday 6th October starting at 7.30 pm in a recital by Rosalind Ventris, viola and Lara Dodds-Eden, piano.

There are more details about this recital on the Wigmore Hall's website, www.wigmore-hall.org.uk. Tickets can be booked online at the above address or through the box office on +44 (0)20 7935 2141.

pianola

Rachmaninoff on BBC Composer of the Week, 22 October 2012

Postby pianola » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:10 am

We should also note the fact that Rachmaninoff and Medtner are about to feature on Composer of the Week, on BBC Radio 3, from 22 October onwards, at 12.00 pm London time, repeated at 6.30 pm. Good old Donald Macleod!

pianola

Royal Festival Hall, London - Friday 15 February 2013

Postby pianola » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

RACHMANINOFF - Piano Concerto no. 3

RACHMANINOFF - Symphony no. 2

London Philharmonic Orchestra
Yannick Nézet-Séguin - conductor
Simon Trpceski - piano

Yannick is the new Music Director of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Music Director of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Principal Guest Conductor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra. You'd better be there!

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”