R.'s Quote about Symphonic Dances

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
opus23#10

R.'s Quote about Symphonic Dances

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 pm

In Harvest of Sorrows, Rachmaninoff makes a statement about one of the Symphonic Dances. He is referring to a peaceful, pastoral section, and he says that it is about something that "might have been" ... referring to Russia without the sufferings of war.
I would like to have the entire quotation and its source. Can anyone help me with this :?:
Opus23#10

Daniel

Re: R.'s Quote about Symphonic Dances

Postby Daniel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I guess this not of much help, but from the very beginning a lot of sections of the Symphonic Dances gave me the impression Rachmaninoff was telling us about past wonderful times which, obviously, were never to return... What you wrote comes for me as a confirmation. And I must admit I didn't remember this from the movie - maybe it's time I saw it again.

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Daniel, thanks for your reply. I guess I need to watch that DVD again myself. However, they did not give a source for the quote, naturally. I have looked in a biography and can't find one there. Maybe someone else will come across it.
I love the Symphonic Dances. :D Our orchestra played them in a recent season, and the conductor gave a little talk before the performance. He confessed to the audience that the work is not easy to perform. The orchestra was equal to the challenge,though, and the performance was a great success.
By the way, Marianne (on the forum) recently mentioned many of the great musicians that Alexander Siloti introduced to Russia. Your countryman, George Enesco was one of them.
Opus23#10

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 am

"Harvest of sorrows" is full of so called quotes but they actually are not, but mere adaptations to fit in with the documentary, which is way too sentimental in my personal view. Also the musical quotes are chonologically not right a number of times.

I always feel Sergei 'speaks' to me most directly through his music, not through quotes anyhow.

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Rachboy, I will be wary of any "quotes" taken from the documentary. Since I have bought documentaries about other composers and have been disappointed :( ,I feel that Harvest of Sorrows is better than most. The good thing about this forum is that one can learn about the discrepencies in a documentary or movie, etc. Thanks for the information.
Opus23#10

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”