Playing the prelude in c# minor

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:49 am

Wish you good luck Robert!!! On most of the chords in the first part, if you switch your thumbs then you have the exact same chords on both hands. About that scene from Shine you mentioned I disagree because the notes are on the paper but not the music. Music is behind the notes as Horowitz used to say.

robinov

Postby robinov » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:34 am

I'm jumping into this conversation a little late, but I found it fun that another 15 year old plays that prelude. Now, I'm 16, but I learnt the piece last year, when I was 15, as a part of repertoire for my piano exams.

I've got to say, the best way to start is by listening to the peice in headphones and visualising how you'd play it. Do this a few times, and then try it on the piano. I found that the notes seem to place themselves without you even thinking, for the first and second parts.

The last part, where the chords span nearly the entire keyboard, is where you need to put time and effort. It takes alot of articulation and concentration to place, but once it's there, it's like riding a bicycle. Afterall, it's only the reexposition of the first theme.

A good thing to remember when playing the piece is that when Rachmaninoff composed it at 19, ( not 18 ), he wanted to evoke the thundering bells of Moscow. If you can reproduce the effect on the piano, the piece gains in realism and it comes out just like Sergei wanted it to. :D

Cheers from Montreal!

J"rgen

Postby J"rgen » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Finally I found equals!

I've learnt this fantastic prelude during the last few months. I, too, am 15 years old, and even my piano teachers thinks that it was a little over-the-top. Well, now its all good...I started his 5th prelude in G minor now.

For interpretation I did what you noted above; additional information that I found was about the 3 'statements' at the very beginning, which guide the A part. Added to the bell sounds, I read that they could represent the meanining of: "Give me bread" or "Hear our prayer". Added to this, I myself tried to follow the music itself. The melody and the chords provide such beautiful music that the interpretation can simply flow into the piano whilst playing, at times.

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 am

How's the G minor going?

J"rgen

Postby J"rgen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:54 pm

ok.

i like it a lot, and the first 'movement' is basically accomplished. The middle part is actually easier on the right hand, where you simply have to let your left hand go by itself... the first part is actually easier than i thought, as the hand positions don't change as much as in c # minor! its more statitc.

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:05 pm

Having a good time with the g-minor? :D :D

Marie-Lyne

Postby Marie-Lyne » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:56 pm

I play that prelude too, I started learning it after 2-3 months of piano playing, now I've been playing for almost a year and what I did is that I listened to different interpretations of it and since I started learning this prelude, my vision about this piece has changed a lot. But Like it was said before, the "Bells" must be there. I listened to Rachmaninoff version and that's the version that guided me.
Être vaut mieux qu'avoir.

rachmaninoff fan

Postby rachmaninoff fan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:Everything (nearly) in a performance is worked out beforehand.

Thats the way Sergei Vasilievich did it himself.

Thats the only way.

no no no if you do that you will do it like a machine! just try some stuff out on stage so you got a bit more tension (I like it) and it is so unpredictable!

gr,

robert

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:41 pm

Rachmaninoff has 3 different recording of this Prelude and they are not really the same.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:06 pm

I'm learning the Prelude in C# minor as as well, I've learnt the first and the second movement and I'm half way through the third. The Chords in there are very awkwardly positioned I find!
Best Regards

Jasper

Marie-Lyne

Postby Marie-Lyne » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:58 am

This is a very fun piece to play. Yes the chords in the last part are not always easy to reach, but once you get used to it, it's like water. I'd like to play the g minor prelude too.....something I should try after the B minor prelude.
Être vaut mieux qu'avoir.

erik_silkensen

Postby erik_silkensen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:09 am

I'm in sort of a similar situation as some of you guys it sounds... I guess I'm a few years older ( 18 ) but I played my first Rachmaninoff a few months ago ( No 4 in D ) and loved it! I think it was a nice introduction to Rach and I really want to play some more... I'm trying to decide between the c# or g minor...

I'm kind of leaning towards c#... any recommendations though?

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Since you've played the D major, try the g minor. Learning the c sharp minor will just another piece to your repertoire but learning the g minor will also add technique to your fingers and phrasing.

erik_silkensen

Postby erik_silkensen » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:30 am

I ended up picking the g minor... about a page into it now and really like it so far!

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun May 27, 2007 7:42 pm

Has anyone tried the E flat minor from op.23?

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”