Op.17 work for two pianos

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
opus23#10

Op.17 work for two pianos

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:19 pm

On April 15, Sylvia and Silvana Santinelli performed Rachmaninoff's Suite No.2 for Two Pianos, Op.17 at a Tuesday Musical Club performance in San Antonio. It was a real treat to hear the duo piano literature, and the Rachmaninoff work was impressive. I enjoyed the two middle sections -- Valse (presto) and Romance (andantino) the most, just because they were so lyrical. Now that I have been introduced to this work, I will need to get a recording so I can enjoy it more fully. (The last movement, a tarantella, has a certain forshadowing of the Third Piano Concerto, according to the excellent program notes.)
The Santinelli sisters have performed extensively in Europe, Mexico, and the United States. They were also participants in the Rachmaninoff World Piano Seminar in Tambov, Russia.
Opus23#10

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 am

How did the Tarantella foreshadow the Third piano concerto?
I've played that Suite No.2 and have heard the 3rd Piano Concerto many times but I can't say I've heard many similarities.
What comparisons did it tell of in the program notes? :)

AEBarsov

Postby AEBarsov » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:34 am

Allow me to recommend the recording "Rachmaninov--Music for Two Pianos" by Vladimir Ashkenazy and Andre Previn. It's a two-disc set. The first CD includes the two suites, and also the op. 33 etudes. The second disk has the piano transcriptions of the Symphonic Dances, the Russian Rhapsody, and Variations on a Theme by Corelli.

see here: not allowed.com/classical/alb ... um_id=1222

opus23#10

Forshadowing in tarantella to 3rd concerto

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:53 pm

Mikhailp, the person who wrote the program notes for that April recital responded to my question this morning He had noted a similarity between the tarantella of the Suite for Two Pianos and the third concerto.
The writer of the notes and his wife are both very active in the music of our city, so I was happy to get a quick response from him.

I quote part of his reply: "it was just the filigree writing with the rapid repeated notes that reminded me somewhat of the virtuosic episode in the latter part of the 2nd movement of the Concerto #3."

Now, we need to make our own comparisons.
Opus23#10

kurtdaniel

Re: Op.17 work for two pianos

Postby kurtdaniel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:17 pm

This is a piece well worth playing for the piano lessons(and not too difficult as well), if you can find two pianos and a partner..

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”