Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
opus23#10

Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:44 am

Since I recently purchased sheet music for The Seasons by Tchaikovsky, I decided to type in "Troika" on Youtube. Amazing! Rachmaninoff plays "Troika", and his teacher -- Konstantin Igumnov plays "By the Hearth" (January), both from The Seasons. The Igumnov recording is amazingly clear, and is beautiful. Naturally, the Rachmaninoff interpretation is exquisite. I understand "Troika" was SVR's favorite encore. I learned that when I did a little research on Tchaikovsky.
Marianne, I look forward to hearing the balalaika and other folk instruments on the sites you listed. Folk music is one of my interests, especially eastern European folk music. Congratulations on getting your old family photos! What a treasure! :D
Opus23#10

StewH

Re: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Postby StewH » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 pm

opus23#10 wrote:Since I recently purchased sheet music for The Seasons by Tchaikovsky, I decided to type in "Troika" on Youtube. Amazing! Rachmaninoff plays "Troika", and his teacher -- Konstantin Igumnov plays "By the Hearth" (January), both from The Seasons. The Igumnov recording is amazingly clear, and is beautiful. Naturally, the Rachmaninoff interpretation is exquisite. I understand "Troika" was SVR's favorite encore. I learned that when I did a little research on Tchaikovsky.
Marianne, I look forward to hearing the balalaika and other folk instruments on the sites you listed. Folk music is one of my interests, especially eastern European folk music. Congratulations on getting your old family photos! What a treasure! :D
Opus23#10

I don't find where Igumnov was SVR's teacher--I think they attended the Moscow Conservatory together. But, in any case, Igumnov was Natalya's piano teacher (!) and premiered SVR's Sonata No. 1.
StewH

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:22 am

StewH, I will try to find that in the Bertensson-Leyda book, which I still have checked out from the library -- thanks to some very kind, patient librarians. If you come across the idea in question, please let me know.
Opus23#10

StewH

Postby StewH » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Well, it was B-L's book I referenced, as well as Norris's. But I'll check again!
StewH

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 pm

StewH, I think you were right. It is just that Zverev was listed as a teacher of N., and for some reason I thought Igumnov was also. I am glad to know the facts, in case I put something incorrect in whatever I write.
Opus23#10

StewH

Postby StewH » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:12 pm

opus23#10 wrote:StewH, I think you were right. It is just that Zverev was listed as a teacher of N., and for some reason I thought Igumnov was also. I am glad to know the facts, in case I put something incorrect in whatever I write.
Opus23#10

Wait a minute! Zverev was SVR's teacher; Igumnov was Natalya's teacher....right? :?
StewH

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 am

StewH, The B.-L. biography, chapter 6, p.97 (old edition) lists Zverev as Natalie's teacher before Igumnov. However, Marianne has recently sent me a list of Natalie's teachers at the conservatory, and Zverev is not on that list. Perhaps Zverev taught her for only a short time.
You were right about Igumnov not teaching Rachmaninoff, though.

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:52 am

Op23#10, Right you are: N. was initially in Zverev's class, but completed her studies in Igumnov's class (at least according to B-L).
StewH

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Dear Opus 23#10, thank you so much for this link!!!!!!!! :!:
Adorable!!! Never heard Igumnov play... Look forward to show the records to my mother, she appreciates the Seasons to be the best piano cycle ever written.

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:08 am

It is amazing what is on YouTube. In the past, I heard Chaliapin sing "Dark Eyes" - I am sure that is not the Russian name of the song !*** I am writing a little article about The Seasons for the Music Teachers' newsletter. That marvelous work deserves to be studied and performed in recitals here.
Opus23#10 :)

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm

Exactly so! What I also like about The Seasons that each one has a little poem as an epigraph!

Let's search the youtube for more interpretations!
The Seasons are extremely popular in Russia, in music schools, so much that teachers avoid to include them in the pupil's programme in order not to hear them in bad interpretation... It's like something sacred :D

"Dark Eyes" are "Black Eyes" actually - "Otchi chernie"! And this word "black" is stressed more, because it goes after the word "eyes" - "otchi", and this "otchi" is archaic for eyes! Normally you would say "glaza". It's about love passion, and as long as I don't like the praising of passions I will end up here :D

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:19 am

Marianne, my edition of The Seasons does not have the little poems you mentioned for each piece. Too bad! My copy is from Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics -- a very popular publisher in the USA. I was astonished at how inexpensive it was -- $9.95. Maybe that means that they have sold a lot of them, even though I haven't heard the works around here. I have a feeling that these were popular in the past with music teachers. However, I would certainly have remembered them if I had played them. *** If I find other pianists playing them on Youtube, I'll let you know.
Thanks for the translation of "Black Eyes". Since I heard Chaliapin sing it in Russian, I can see how the words of the title fit.
Opus23#10

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:31 am

I must add that I did find the little epigrams on the internet by typing in Tchaikovsky The Seasons. They are lovely.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:32 am

Dear Opus 23#10, I've got to know that Konstantin Igumnov was the first performer of the Sonata №2, 4th concert, and the first performer of the Paganini Rhapsody in Russia (1939)!
He is obviously "our man" :D

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:29 am

Marianne, I thought Igumnov played "By the Fireside (Hearth)" beautifully! I also listened to Lev Oborin - another great Russian pianist. Your country really produces amazing pianists!!
*** By the way, the epigrams for The Seasons had beautiful thoughts, but I felt that the English translations probably did not do them justice. It is quite hard to translate poetry. The epigram for "Troika" really surprised me. When one thinks of a sleigh ride, one thinks of something happy, yet this epigram was very sad. So ... I listened to SVR's version again, and I noted that he played the lyrical section at a very moderate tempo, so it could fit the epigram after all. *** I looked at the web site for Alexander Siloti and was absolutely astonished at his accomplishments. I am going to buy Lost Among the Stars by Charles Barber. It is out of print, but available used from Amazon and Advanced Book Exchange. I assume you have something like these internet book/CD stores in Russia.
Opus23#10

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”