Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
opus23#10

Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 am

Since I recently purchased The Seasons by Tchaikovsky, I decided to type in "Troika" on Youtube. Amazing! Rachmaninoff plays "Troika", and his teacher -- Konstantin Igumnov plays "By the Hearth" (January), both from The Seasons. The Igumnov recording is amazingly clear, and is beautiful. Naturally, the Rachmaninoff interpretation is exquisite. I understand "Troika" was SVR's favorite encore. I learned that when I did a little research on Tchaikovsky.
Marianne, I look forward to hearing the balalaika and other folk instruments on the sites you listed. Folk music is one of my interests, especially eastern European folk music. Congratulations on getting your old family photos! What a treasure! :D
Opus23#10

mikhailp
Site Admin

Re: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Postby mikhailp » Tue May 26, 2009 6:33 am

Is there any reference or explanation to the Troika being his favorite encore piece - specifically why - in his journals?
Mikhail Pais
Classical Pianist
not allowed.com

Marianne

Re: Igumnov, Rachmaninoff, etc. on Youtube!

Postby Marianne » Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm

I haven't read all the literature about SVR yet, though one can find quite interesting info - memoirs by Presman who was also a student of Zverev (they all lived in the house of Zverev and he was their teacher as you know). He tells that once there was Zverev's birthday, and they prepared as a present performing of the new pieces. They studied them without Zverev's help to make him a surprise. And there Presman writes that he learned to play the Snowflower and Rachmaninoff - "The ride on Troika" - or simply "On Troika". Zverev was delighted and later in the evening there came guests and Tchaikovsky among them and the students repeated the performance, and Tchaikovsky liked it very much and even kissed them.

Hope the movie directors are not reading this board and will not make any further withdrawals from this)

opus23#10

Re: R.'s favorite encore - Troika

Postby opus23#10 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Mikhailp, I think I found the reference about Troika being Rachmaninoff's favorite encore on the internet. I am sure it was not in a book, so that narrows things down a little. I just need to find the particular site. I will let you know when and if I do.

Marianne, you are absolutely right about certain people who may want to focus on any little action, distorting its meaning for their own purposes. :( I think this is a "tabloid mentality". Those tabloids newspapers are displayed at the check-out counters in my supermarket, and their only function, as far as I am concerned, is to provide a distraction if the line is long.
Opus23#10

opus23#10

Re: R.'s favorite encore - Troika

Postby opus23#10 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

MikhailP, I found the reference about "Troika" being a favorite encore of Rachmaninoff. I went to Google and typed in Troika Tchaikovsky. The first site on the list is Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. The first sub-heading is "The Seasons" That is where the statement appears. ( ... "'Troika was a favorite encore of Serge Rachmaninoff.") References at the end of the article give these sources: Tchaikovsky research.net , and Alexander Poznansky: Tchaikovsky:The Quest for the Inner Man. *** It would be impossible to prove that "Troika" was a favorite encore, since encores are not listed on programs, though they sometimes appear in reviews. It is easy to imagine Rachmaninoff favoring the work, though.
Opus23#10

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”