Deviations from the score in Rach's own recording of Rach 3

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
Kenneth

Deviations from the score in Rach's own recording of Rach 3

Postby Kenneth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi,

I wondered if anybody else has discovered that Rachmaninoff deviates from the score in his own recording of the third piano concerto in the final movement, just as if he were improvising and playing around with some grace notes or something in the beginning of the passage that occurs just before 1:00 and ends at about 1:03 of elapsed time. This passage is a short one, with primarily just two notes alternating (like a slow trill, kind of, but not really).

When the passage returns at about 7:32 of elapsed time in the final movement it sounds "normal" I think.

I would appreciate any kind of input into this matter as it does puzzle me from time to time.

Amphissa

Re: Deviations from the score in Rach's own recording of Rach 3

Postby Amphissa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:02 am

I assume you are referring to the recording made with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Rachmaninoff made many cuts in this recording. He plays the short version of the cadenza and cuts assorted passages throughout. He made a number of deviations from the score. For example, he inserted a ritardando where the score indicates poco accel. al fine at the end of the first movement, and he slowed down substantially in both piu mosso sections of the third movement. His style is very different from the bombastic, ego-centric performances we hear today.

There is a long tradition of improvisation in classical performance by soloists. Up until recent decades, it was pretty common for soloists to improvise, revise, or just plain rewrite scores. Listen to any of Horowitz live performances of solo piano music for examples. For a modern disciple of the old tradition, go to YouTube and listen to Gabriela Montero, who is a master at improvisation on classical pieces. Conductors also made changes to their performing versions of scores. For example, Gliere's score for his 3rd Symphony takes about 75-90 minutes to play. Stokowski recorded it twice, once chopped to less than 40 minutes, another performed at a luxurient sub-50 minute pace. Many other recordings have various cuts. In fact, Ormandy's great first recordings of Rachmaninoff's symphonies have cuts. That was just common practice. He later re-recorded it uncut and advertised heavily that it was the "complete version"!

It's only in the past 60 years or so that music became dominated by the cult of the composer and slavish adherence to the score. Rachmaninoff commonly employed cuts and incorporated changes in his live performances. The scores of soloists and conductors of the era often included cuts and changes that were authorized by the composer.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:37 am

Kenneth, check out this video of Gabriela Montero. If you make it to the end, you may be amazed at the final magical improvisation she creates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eylqqx3XDk
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 am

Absolutely wonderful... do you hear a little bit of Scriabin there or am I alnoe in this feeling?

kurtdaniel

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Amphissa wrote:Kenneth, check out this video of Gabriela Montero. If you make it to the end, you may be amazed at the final magical improvisation she creates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eylqqx3XDk
This is amazing.. Gabriela Montero does well on this.. :) She must have had a good start, and a good piano for beginners lesson..

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”