Bolet Masterclass on 3rd Pianoconcerto

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
RACHBOY

Bolet Masterclass on 3rd Pianoconcerto

Postby RACHBOY » Wed May 09, 2007 1:22 pm

If you want to hear and see a great masterclass on the 3rd Pianoconcerto by George Bolet, go to:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CnyvFpP30bs

It is fantastic ande very insightful!

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Mon May 14, 2007 7:08 am

very interesting master class indeed, its very interesting how Gorge Bolet assumes what Rachmaninoff truly meant through Rachmaninoff's recordings even though he marked tempi and dynamics differently in his score. Rachmaninoff often revised his concerti, often before, during, and after performance tours of those very concerti, why wouldn't he have written in those changes upon finding imperfections?

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Fri May 25, 2007 12:23 pm

I love that masterclass!

Lets see what our President Vladimir Ashkenazy will tell about the concerto on September 23 at the Conference

mikhailp wrote:very interesting master class indeed, its very interesting how Gorge Bolet assumes what Rachmaninoff truly meant through Rachmaninoff's recordings even though he marked tempi and dynamics differently in his score. Rachmaninoff often revised his concerti, often before, during, and after performance tours of those very concerti, why wouldn't he have written in those changes upon finding imperfections?

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:02 am

Fantastic master class! I think Jorge Bolet knew Rachmaninoff. When he gave his Carnegie Hall debut, when he was around 15 (I can't remember his exact age), Rachmaninoff, Lhevinne, Hofmann, Godowsky and maybe others were in the audience.

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:59 am

Bolet's rendering of some preludes and variations on a theme of Paganini is great. Decca recording. But I love the way he does the masterclass and all his insights in this wonderful music.

morakeo wrote:Fantastic master class! I think Jorge Bolet knew Rachmaninoff. When he gave his Carnegie Hall debut, when he was around 15 (I can't remember his exact age), Rachmaninoff, Lhevinne, Hofmann, Godowsky and maybe others were in the audience.

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 am

What's important to notice is that he offers different ideas for the pianists after he listens to their performance, based on His own beliefs of how it should be played. As he said, Rachmaninoff often wrote something one way, and upon performing it he realized that it "didn't work that way" or in my opinion, was simply more convincing or resembled more what he wanted to show at that time. I think Rachmaninoff often changed the way he played something in his own music, after all it was his own feelings he was letting out I guess this makes music all the more subjective!

That was brave of Bolet to play in front of all those people at the age of 15 :shock:

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:18 am

Even some pieces he recorded are played different than the printed score. op.10 no.3 - op.3, no.3... maybe others I can't remember now

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”