A Debt to Charles Gerhardt for Rachmaninoff Recordings

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
Marianne

Re: A Debt to Charles Gerhardt for Rachmaninoff Recordings

Postby Marianne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:18 pm

We all must say the hugest THANK YOU, Zane, to you first of all! You gave him the idea! You gave a start and that is great! I guess this could happen even 10 years earlier and who knows - may be without your idea this could happen only ten years afterwards...

That's a great luck for me to have an opportunity to thank you! You are a unique man - you had a chance to do something to spread Rachmaninoff's music in such a scale! I know that we all from this board would do if we only had a chance... and may be will do...

I remember that I first heard the records of Rachmaninoff playing himself on the Russian radio Orfey, when I was almost 15 years old. And that was a shock for me. Because I studied 7 years in school and none of my teachers mentioned that such records exist. And my mother that loved Rachmaninoff never told me though we had big collection of vynil, unfortunately these records were not among those vynils... Now I can guess why - if only RCA published them, then may be Melodia never published them? Let me check...

So I remember I taped those radio translation and listened with a kind of sacred respect how SVR played his piano pieces... We are lucky people indeed that we have such an opportunity to listen him playing and other great records... I do my best to spread the rare records from youtube in Russian Internet - the records of the pianists from the beginning of the century so that more people could get to know that such records exist... Also there are rare records of famous writers, their voices... For example I never knew that Conan Doyle or Bernard Show or Mark Twain were ever filmed, or Ivan Bunin (Russian writer, a friend of Rachmaninoff), or Chaliapin - singer (starring in the Don Quihote movie). I bet you've never seen these records? :D

Marianne

Re: A Debt to Charles Gerhardt for Rachmaninoff Recordings

Postby Marianne » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:23 pm

I want to thank you, Zane, but I don't know how to do this.

Let me devote to you this posting of the rare photo that I discovered in the Swedish Internet yeasterday and let me hope that you've never seen this photo before and it will make you smile and be happy:

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”