20th and 21st century artists Influenced

Here you can post anything regarding Rachmaninoff's music on record/cd/dvd and concert experiences
jmeadows

20th and 21st century artists Influenced

Postby jmeadows » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:54 am

I am currently writing a paper on the influence of Rachmaninoff and what would classify him as a major composer of the Romantic era. So if I could get any opinions of 20th and 21st century artists Influenced by Rach's style, that would be awesome, as well as any particularly good reference material, that maybe differs from the New Grove Dictionary of music ;).

Thanks,

-Jordan

opus23#10

SVR's influence on other composers

Postby opus23#10 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 pm

You picked an interesting topic. Look through a good periodical index for classical music for the years 1918 -- 1965 especially, and even later. ...I believe SVR influenced many writers of popular as well as classical music. He loved to hang around the film studios when he lived in California. He may have influenced Dimitri Tiomkin, who studied in Russia. He could have influenced George Gershwin, who is also called a Romantic by some. You may need to trace similarities in the actual sheetmusic. Just listen to Concerto 2 , second movement -- the climax near the end. Do the repeated triplet figures in the bass sound familiar? This device became very popular. Listen to the ending of the piano arrangement of Daisies. If that is not 20th century writing, what is? Many performers and composers copied that sophisticated, flippant device. There is nothing wrong with composers borrowing, consciously or unconsciously, from one another. Often the similarities are subtle and quick, and no one writes a "PAPER" on them. I hope this helps. I would LOVE to know what you find.
Opus23#10

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:25 pm

The great forgotten Russian composer, Nikolai Myaskovsky, said that the roots of his music were in Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Rimsky-Korsakov and Scriabin. He wrote some preludes, but no piano concerti. He was best known for his symphonies (he wrote 27) and chamber music. But his music does not sound like Rachmaninoff. I have written an introduction to some of his symphonies, which you can read here: http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?postID=2869

One pianist/composer who was very heavily influenced by Rachmaninoff is Andre Mathieu. He was from Canada. It is remarked that, after hearing Andre Mathieu in concert, Rachmaninoff declared that Mathieu was his true successor. His piano concerto "Concerto de Québec" is evidence of the young man's talent. Unfortunately, he died young. There are a couple of recordings of his concerto available for purchase.

A different kind of influence is found in the life of the German pianist/composer, Kurt Leimer. Kurt Leimer was a very talented young pianist. One of his piano teachers was Rachmaninoff's student, Vladimir Horbovsky. Karajan, Schuricht, Furtwängler, and Gieseking praised this young man's great talent. Unfortunately, during the war, an injury limited his ability to play with his right hand.

Still, he returned to the stage, playing concertos for left hand. Leimer wrote a transcription of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto in Dm for left hand. He played the entire concerto in concerts. And he recorded it! If you ever have an opportunity to hear this recording, you will be amazed.

Richard Strauss, who dedicated his concert for piano and orchestra (left hand) Panathenäenzug op. 74 to Leimer. Strauss said "Leimer is a first class virtuoso, outstanding musician, his techniques sensational ..."

Leimer also composed his own piano concerti. In 1955, he composed his Klavierkonzert Nr. 4, which was first performed under the baton of Leopold Stokowski at Carnegie Hall in New York.

There is a Kurt Leimer Foundation in Zurich, and they periodically sponsor an international piano competition in his name. You can read about Kurt Leimer here: http://www.kurtleimer.ch/100_e_foundation.htm
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Marie-Lyne

Postby Marie-Lyne » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:40 am

I wrote a little bit about André Mathieu in the "Meet and greet" forum, if any of you want to know a bit more about this composer.
Être vaut mieux qu'avoir.

Marianne

Re: 20th and 21st century artists Influenced

Postby Marianne » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Amphissa, thank you so much for your comment!!!

I can only add that 2nd piano concert by Nickolay Medtner resembles Rachmaninoff's 4th concert so much, and obviously Medtner knew that, because he devoted that concert to Rachmaninoff.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:33 am

:shock:
I must admit with shame that I never heard anything by Medtner. Not exactly easy to find. I shall try.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Here is the link to his site
medtner.org.uk/index.html

Actually I also don't know his music that much, so we can study it together. I am shure there is SVR's influence in his other works too. I've read that Rachmaninoff praised his music. He said that Medtner's works are very rich in content, in his works the thought is on the first place, the thought and the inspiration. He never writes the music consciously looking forward for the effect. Only the inspiration itself leads him, and that's the only way to write music.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Look, I've found Metner playing himself on youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=IHd-BzkJaMU

Now I know, Daniel, why you were so secretive about this 2-nd concerto record))))
Yes, rather funny to get to know the record first, and only then to get to know that you hear the composer playing himself)))

Again I listen and feel how much it resembles Rachmaninoff's concertos, especially
5 52
and
6 20 - 6 40

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am

I've got to know that actually the 4th concerto of Rachmaninoff was dedicated to Medtner.
Is it some kind of allusion that it had been writen under the influence of Medtner?
That's why may be it sounds so unlike Rachmaninoff! As if split to pieces, nervous, haotic.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 am

Marianne,
Which version of Rachmaninoff's 4th do you know? The original 1926 one doesn't sound split at all - it's actually quite logical! But yes, it is also nervous in places - he was just describing the new world he was living in and the feelings it induced in him.
As for Medtner's 2nd, the problem with his own recording is that he doesn't play the full cadenza. Listen to Demidenko and be sure to sit before listening :wink:
And I surely feel more attracted to the "wisdom" of Medtner's 3rd...

StewH

Postby StewH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Daniel wrote:Marianne,
Which version of Rachmaninoff's 4th do you know? The original 1926 one doesn't sound split at all - it's actually quite logical!

Daniel & Marianne--It is Max Harrison's opinion, and one that I share, by the way, that since the manuscript of the 1926 version has been published, there is no reason why this version should not be the one performed in concert or recorded...in his words, "...the original is the version that should always be performed from now on." See pg. 260 of his SVR biography.

Harrison also comments, regarding the true nature of the 4th and where it fits in with the rest of SVR's piano concertos, if I may quote: " Indeed it (the 4th) remained the best single proof that Rachmaninoff, whatever his detractors continued to say, was a twentieth-, not nineteenth-, century composer." And later..."Although it has taken three-quarters of a century for this supposed ugly duckling among the otherwise glamorous company of Rachmaninoff's piano concertos to emerge as a modernistically beautiful swan, in terms of music history that is not so long. Concerto No. 4 now stands as the most fascinating, if also the darkest, of his works in this medium..."

I thought you would be interested in these comments from a most impressive biographer and musicologist, who in his book from which these quotes are taken, demonstrates a very broad, insightful knowledge of twentieth century composers and their music.
Last edited by StewH on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewH

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Thank you StewH, I've read Max Harrison's book and I share his oppinion on Rachmaninoff's 4th.
Very interesting book. Just to open the appetite for those of you who haven't read it yet: did you know that Rachmaninoff performed in a single concert Tchaikovski's 1st, List's 1st and his 2nd? Steel hands... but you already know that one :D

kurtdaniel

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Matt Bellamy of Muse has said that Rach was a great influence in piano music, especially in their songs Piano Thing and the piano section on Butteflies and Hurricanes.

Return to “Recordings - CD/DVDs”