Alexander Siloti

Here you can post any Rachmaninoff related and legal weblinks to for instance Youtube for interesting performances, picture and music websites, podcasts etc. You can also discuss the weblinks here
Marianne

Re: Alexander Siloti

Postby Marianne » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Hope you had good holiday! :wink:
I am also happy to be on this forum, to have a chance to speak about SVR with people who share the same interest, with people who share the unique information about SVR' music and life.

Thank you for mentioning this intimate detail regarding the Eflat major Prelude, never heard of this! Thank you!

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:19 am

Marianne, I am fascinated that you are writing from St. Petersburg. Tell me a little about the city. I imagine it is very cold there now. In south and central Texas, one can usually go outside without a jacket; however when a "blue norther" blows in, usually after Christmas, a person has to dress warmly.
I found your picture of SVR in a very heavy coat with fur collar interesting. That photo was surely taken after he had left Russia, though. Rachmaninoff is really an amazing person. For one thing, people from so many countries absolutely cherish him and his music. Also, he is like an ambassador for Russia and its people. I know that his music, and this forum have given me quite an interest in Russia.
Here is a question for you. How would children, for example, in SVR's time, address their mothers and fathers? Would they say "Mama" and "Papa" -- as in so many languages? *** Here is a second question, which I should know the answer to. What is Alexander Ziloti's father's name? Actually I would like to know what name ending in vich precedes Ziloti in Alexander Ziloti's formal name.
Opus23#10 :)

StewH

Postby StewH » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:24 am

Hi, StewH here, if I may....Siloti's father's name was Ilya, thus Siloti's "patronymic" was Ilyich.
StewH

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:08 am

opus23#10, thank you for your message!

As for Saint-Petersburg I'd rather open a new topic, as I've been also to Novgorod (that's not too far from Saint-Petersburg), the city where actually Rachmaninoff was born and spent his childhood.

As for addressing, you know that in Russian there are still two types of adressing. First one is more respectfull - You and the second one is more intimate - Thou.
We use Thou for friends and close relatives, and usually for people that are not older than we are. And nowadays everyone says Thou to his parents. But in 19th century children in the aristocratic families usually adressed their parents as Mama (or in a french manner Maman) and Papa, but in You, the same with grandmothers and so on. As parents in the aristocratic families didn't spend much time with their children, nurses did.

If you are interested in this question, you better read Lev Tolstoy's story that is called "Childhood". It gives all the details

As for Ziloty's patronic name it is really Ilyich, meaning that his father's name was Ilya.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:28 pm

I've got to know that Siloti (Ziloti) was a teacher in the Juilliard School
(www.julliard.edu)
Wish I knew more about this period of his life, about his students...

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Marianne, I didn't realize that Ziloti taught at the Juilliard. Somehow, I didn't picture him in the USA; I just imagined he was in Europe. If I come across anything about him over here, I will let you know.
Did you know that Rachmaninoff actually came to San Antonio, TX. twice? :o Last year I asked the history editor on our newspaper about one visit mentioned in the Bertensson Leyda biography, and she found two separate appearances. She wrote a nice article about one, including a picture of SVR at an airport, and showed an autographed program in the other article. I sent copies to Rachboy, because someone in the society is compiling a list of all of SVR's concerts and recitals. *** I do not have a scanner on my computer, but if you would like to give me an address, I will gladly send you copies.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Incredible! My adress is
I will be much obliged to you!

I've got to know about him teaching there because today I've found an article about the rare photo (I'll post the photo itself in the topic about Milstein), where there was information that he worked there in the 30-s, and the director of the School wanted to fire him because he was already old and the School had financial problems, can you imagine firing Siloti :D such a great pianist and such a great figure. And his students Iosif and Rosina Levin said that they could pass part of their salaries for the salary of Siloti. That's why the legendary teacher of Rachmaninoff wasn't fired actually

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 am

On this photo one can try to find

Franz Liszt, Georg Liebling, Aleksandr I. Ziloti, Arthur Friedheim, Emil von Sauer, Alfred Reisenauer, Alexander W. Gottschalg, Moriz Rosenthal {[u.a.], Gruppenbildnis, Ganzfigurbildnis

edocs.ub.uni-frankfurt.de

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:00 pm

These photos are fantastic....!!!! Where do you find them...????!!!!!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Well, just search for Rachmaninov and his colleages names as often as I can :D

Liszt

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Marianne, you are a great resource! Your picture collection is amazing.
I saw a lovely picture of SVR and Natalie on Voice of Russia, but that web site seems to alternate their pictures, and I haven't found the picture again. It must be an engagement photo, because it is obviously a studio portrait, yet it is not the wedding picture which I have seen, probably taken at Siloti's home. Do you have that studio portrait?
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:41 am

Thank you!

Do you mean this picture?

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 am

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 am

Marianne, you should set up a museum! What a collection of pictures! You did find the "engagement picture" of SVR and Natalie! They look very young on that picture. The Siloti pictures are marvelous also. I printed all of these these with my new printer, and they came out very clear. Now, I must set up a folder for pictures of famous composers, etc.
Something that is delaying my two copies of newspaper articles about SVR's visit, is that I have "put one of them in a good place" -- which means I can't find it. Fortunately, that one is much less important than the other, and is simply a picture of an autographed program from the 1920's. It is here somewhere, though, so I will continue to look, and will send it to you.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:09 am

Thank you for your warm words!

May be it is for better - there is no reason to hurry, may be soon you will get the scaner and scan them, so there will be no need in posting expenses :-)

Ziloti with his mother and N in Ivanovka

Pay attention to the photo of Ziloti and Liszt hanging on the wall! The third one from the left :D

From the Ivanovka site I've got to know that

Ziloti taught in Juilliard from 1924 till 1942

Return to “Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)”