Alexander Siloti

Here you can post any Rachmaninoff related and legal weblinks to for instance Youtube for interesting performances, picture and music websites, podcasts etc. You can also discuss the weblinks here
opus23#10

Alexander Siloti

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:21 pm

While doing some Rachmaninoff research I Googled Alexander Siloti and found an interesting site. I clicked on the site that gave the composer's name followed by:"The Siloti family came to Russia from Italy..." ( not allowed.com) and read an interesting account of the man and his family, including an interview with his daughter. Siloti was so important in Rachmaninoff's life that one must know something about him to understand SVR.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Re: Alexander Siloti

Postby Marianne » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Indeed, he was very imporant for Rachmaninoff, here are some photos:

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Marianne, thank you so very much for the photos! :D What a generous man Siloti must have been - especially when he helped SVR financially when he fled Russia!
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:30 pm

You are welcme! :)
Of course he was) Though they were cousins actually)))

I've heard that Siloti was the one who played SVR's C sharp prelude in Europe and in this way made SVR's name famous in Europe, so that when Rachmaninoff went to Europe to give recitals he was already well-known.

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 am

Marianne, thanks for the reply. No wonder people were ready to turn out to see that new composer and pianist! The prelude was just an hors d'oeuvre for a feast of music, with many more to follow!
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Yes, it's obviously a masterpiece...
Also I've heard that Siloti was one of the favourite students of List

and here they say there are records of Siloti playing:

arkivmusic.com/classical/Name/Alexander-Siloti/Performer/11207-2

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:04 am

Thanks, Marianne. I will try that site you gave me; I love historic recordings.
I write for a music teachers' newsletter, and will create a section on "Star Pupils". You can be sure Siloti will be included, with the site you mentioned.
Thanks for the idea.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:38 am

You are welcome :D Glad to be usefull

Happy news! One can listen to Ziloti playing here:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6TCZH8uA0
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNg99UuIFo

thalbergmad from pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11776.0.html
forum gave me the link :D

How do you like the manner he plays? I just love it!!!

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:07 am

YES, YES, YES!!!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:55 am

Look, what a marvellous photo I've found

Ziloti and Liszt

edocs.ub.uni-frankfurt.de

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:36 am

Marianne, that is a marvelous photo!!! Where do you get these pictures? You must hunt far and wide to find them. Ziloti was a most generous person. I am doing a little more research on Rachmaninoff for something I am writing, and Ziloti comes up again and again. He gave Sergei R. and Natalya tickets to Bayreuth for a wedding gift.
Thanks for your interesting posts.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Thank you :D Glad to receive your comment. I do hunt for them since I have this Rachmaninomania))))

As for Siloti, I've read that

The First Concerto was dedicated to Ziloti
plus (your favourite)))) opus 23 - Preludes
plus Italian polka

He was also the conductor on the first performing of the Second Concert, the conductor of R's cantata "Spring", the first pianist to perform the First Concert, Suite N2 op.17 and also performed the Second Concert with Nikisch as a conductor in Leipzig on January the 9th, 1902, and in Saint-Petersburg on March the 29th, 1902

My mother also told me that she've read that Liszt gave to Ziloti as a present some cuff links. And when Ziloti had lack of money he went to lombard in the pawn shop, and afterwards had big problems. So as soon as he could he bought them back from the pawn shop and never did let this happen again. So they brought him luck.

PS I've updated the page, devoted to Ziloti on my site. May be some other links to add?
Opus23#10, you've posted some link in your first message here, I can't see it, may be you could repost it without first 7 symbols that usually mark the hyperlink?

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:21 am

Marianne, I don't remember sending a web site, but I will look through my old postings. (I would have done so by now, but today has been hectic.) Playing around with the computer -- especially the forum -- is relaxing.

Sometimes people send me web sites and I cannot access them. I am not too good at technology, and am a little bit intimidated. :?

I'll let you know if I find a site I sent you.
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 am

I mean actually the very first message of yours in this topic:

clicked on the site that gave the composer's name followed by:"The Siloti family came to Russia from Italy..." ( not allowed.com) and read an interesting account of the man and his family, including an interview with his daughter.[*]

I've read recently that Ziloti was an official teacher of Rachmaninoff in the Moscow conservatoire. And also there are rumours that Ziloti was Liszt's unofficial son :D

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Marianne, I think that was the site I got. I notice that when certain sites are recommended, they are not always available. I could not go to the one they recommended. Sometimes there is a request to join for a fee, and I don't join; I just try to find info. elsewhere.

Liszt certainly could have fathered any number of children, because he was very fond of the ladies, and they of him! However, I am always leery of such rumors, since there was one about Anton Rubinstein being Beethoven's son. The dates don't match up, though!!

It is absolutely amazing to me that I am able to correspond with someone in Russia -- or in any other foreign country. This is a real thrill. *** My family is getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving, a time when we all get together and have a big feast. I am going to be really involved in everything, since we are a pretty big family. So, if I don't respond for several days, that is why. I certainly do enjoy your postings.

Here is an interesting note from author Julian Haylock: RVS devoted himself to working on the Op.23 preludes while awaiting the birth of his first child, Irina. On the day she was born, he sat down and wrote his Eflat major Prelude, Op.23, "a microcosm of wide-eyed innocence and blissful contentment."
Opus23#10

Return to “Rachmaninoff Weblinks (audio/video clips etc.)”