Tchaikovsky's November

Here you can place info about yourself in order to get to know each other on the forum somewhat better. You can also use it for some more random conversation
opus23#10

Tchaikovsky's November

Postby opus23#10 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:26 am

Last symphony season a pianist played Tchaikovsky's "Troika" (November) as an encore. The audience loved it. I recently read that this was one of Rachmaninoff's favorite encores -- no surprise. He also recorded it.
I first heard the piece as an orchestral arrangement years ago, but have not heard it performed again, until at last year's concert. This is absolutely amazing to me. The piece is so beautiful that it deserves to be heard more often. Is my experience unique, or is this work neglected elsewhere?
Opus23#10

Marianne

Re: Tchaikovsky's November

Postby Marianne » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 am

I love this thing!!! And I heard that Rachmaninoff used to play this piece on every concert, may be that's a rumour but still...
There was a poll on one Russian forum, which work of Rachmaninoff you like best, so I made a joke and replyed - November by Tchaikovsky :D
Because it really sounds like Rachmaninoff's.

And I can guess why he loved it so much. You see, it is included in the cycle of 12 pieces, each named by the month name. And the whole cycle is worth listening, believe me!
Besides the month names each piece has another poetic name, and some little poem as epigrach
So November is called "Na troike" literally "On a a coach-and-three".

This plot is widely used on the New Year postcards and in lacquered boxes:

So this Troika - the coach with three horses is one of the main symbols of Russia, associated with the frost, with speed, with huge territories. Gogol in his novel "Death Souls" associated Russia with Troika, asking - where do you go? Where do you fly as a bird?

In piece itself you can hear the imitating of the bells of the shaft bow, and somehow the frost. Do you hear it or may be you have some other assotiations?

StewH

Postby StewH » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:29 pm

I have a CD of Rachmaninoff playing this piece via a Bosendorfer 290SE Reproducing Piano. The CD is the second of two featuring this Reproducing Piano, both entitled "A Window in Time", the first featuring all SVR's works recorded on piano rolls, the second featuring his transcriptions of various composers' works including Tchaikovsky's "November." Listening to both of these CDs, I believe, is as close as you can get to sitting next to the master and listening to a private recital. The reproducing piano used in the recordings accurately reproduces all the nuances, dynamics, touch, tone, etc. of the master himself--it's uncanny. If you haven't listened to these recordings, I strongly recommend that you do so. You won't be disappointed.
StewH

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Marianne, thanks so much for your replies. I am going to order the sheet music for The Seasons. "November" is very picturesque, and I can hear the sounds you mentioned in the music . I have seen the picture on the tray or platter that you scanned, and it is beautiful. I did not know it was a symbol for Russia, however.
Thanks also for telling me about the Tolstoy story, "Childhood". I am sure I will enjoy it.
After reading Sophia Satina's wonderful account of her family at Ivanovka (on the member's site), I am sure they were not the stiff, formal aristocrats one might imagine They were an aristocratic family, I believe, but they seem very warm and extremely practical. I am thinking of Natalie and Sophia and the other children working in the garden, and also working with the sheep at shearing time.
As for Rachmaninoff's birthplace, sometimes different places make that claim. I have read of a place called Oneg ("an hour's journey from Novgorod") being SVR's birthplace. Today, Oneg may even be a part of Novgorod, and certainly no longer an hour's journey. It astonishes me to learn of the wonderful musicians who have come from the area -- Kissin, and Ashkenazy, for example.
Thanks again for your interesting information.
Opus23#10

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:12 pm

StewH, I have heard some pieces from "A Window in Time", but should get it for myself. I do have the boxed set of CD's by RCA of all SVR's recordings, however. This is what made me a Rachmaninoff addict.
I enjoy your interesting postings, StewH.
Opus23#10

StewH

Postby StewH » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:36 am

opus23#10 wrote:StewH, I have heard some pieces from "A Window in Time", but should get it for myself. I do have the boxed set of CD's by RCA of all SVR's recordings, however. This is what made me a Rachmaninoff addict.
I enjoy your interesting postings, StewH.
Opus23#10

I have quite a few LPs of SVR's recordings for RCA, but haven't managed to buy the CD set yet! :oops:

These LPs are probably the reason, next to my dad, why I'm a Rachmaninoff addict! :lol:

Harrison in his biography of SVR, draws many comparisons between the Ampico piano rolls SVR recorded and his discs for RCA. Interestingly, he favors some of the piano roll versions over the discs. In any case, do manage to buy both CDs--you'll be amazed by and intrigued with the performances, both by SVR and that Bosendorfer Reproducing Piano.
StewH

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Marianne, thanks for sending all of those sites. Unfortunately, I was unable to access them. This happens to me sometimes. :( However, I was so fired up with enthusiasm yesterday that I got a sheet music web site and ordered The Seasons. I was delighted that the Schirmer Library had a copy that was just $9.00 or so, with inexpensive postage. :) It will take about ten days for me to get the book, but that is not a problem. Thanks for the recommendation about the most beautiful selections. I will try them.

I have a few piano students, and sometimes selecting great classics for the upper intermediate adults can be a challenge. I order quite a bit of sheet music and keep a lending library. Then, I order works as needed.There is a lot of music out there, but each student has special needs and preferences that I consider. I think Tchaikovsky will be excellent for them.

About that Opus 23, no. 3 prelude that SVR composed on the day Irina was born. . .
I played it and was a little puzzled. The very low notes in the first part did not make me think of a newborn baby. However, other parts of the prelude were in keeping with the innocent, wide-eyed wonder SVR wanted to convey. I think that other preludes in that set might have been inspired by Irina. Even my own #10 -- which could also be a love duet.
Opus23#10

kurtdaniel

Postby kurtdaniel » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Im not really familiar with Tchaikovsky's November,, but it impressed me the moment i heard it.. :) It was recommended to me by my piano lessons teacher..

Return to “Meet & Greet!”