Song lyrics and date

Here you can place info about yourself in order to get to know each other on the forum somewhat better. You can also use it for some more random conversation
opus23#10

Song lyrics and date

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:44 am

Does anyone know the words to the song that begins "Don't sing the beauty ..." or what it is about? This was dedicated to Natalia Satina. During what year did SVR write the song?
Opus23#10

Marianne

Re: Song lyrics and date

Postby Marianne » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:27 am

There is a perfect link for you -
recmusic*org/lieder/r/rachmaninov*html

all the translations of the Rachmaninoff's song's texts

This song is about love. The author is Pushkin.
It's other title is "The Song of Grusia"

Do not sing, my beauty, to me
your sad songs of Georgia;
they remind me
of that other life and distant shore.

Alas, They remind me,
your cruel melodies,
of the steppe, the night and moonlit
features of a poor, distant maiden!

That sweet and fateful apparition
I forget when you appear;
but you sing, and before me
I picture that image anew.

Translation from Russian to English copyright © by Anton Bespalov and Rianne Stam (rianne (AT) sunrise.demon.nl)

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:10 am

Marianne, thanks for the quick reply, and for the web link. I have a gift card for a book and CD store, and plan to get the songs. I still do not have all of Rachmaninoff's works, but am building a CD library of them. Each CD is a wonderful discovery. :D
Opus23#10

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:36 am

You are welcome!

If you ever have time to write down the names of the CD's in you collection, please do!
It's so interesting!!! :D

You can download the songs of Rachmaninoff here:

rusklarom*narod*ru/rahmaninov.htm

It is not illegal site!

When you download them, change their names as in some cases they are the same and they just replace each other if you don't rename them.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:08 pm

It's op.4 no.4, around 1892.

StewH

Postby StewH » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:41 pm

Op.23#10, If you think you can afford it, buy the complete songs recorded by Howard Shelley, et. al. on ... I forget the label...it's well worth the investment if you're expanding your SVR CD collection. While I have my favorites in the early Opuses, such as the one you've mentioned, my real favorites are from Opus 34 and 38--you're in for a big surprise if you haven't heard these! :!:

***Edit: The label is "Brilliant Classics".

BTW, has anyone heard Earl Wild's transcription of this song? Oh, yea.... :wink:
Last edited by StewH on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
StewH

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 am

Marianne wrote:You are welcome!

If you ever have time to write down the names of the CD's in you collection, please do!
It's so interesting!!! :D

You can download the songs of Rachmaninoff here:

rusklarom*narod*ru/rahmaninov.htm

It is not illegal site!

When you download them, change their names as in some cases they are the same and they just replace each other if you don't rename them.

Marianne, I really like this site! Thank you so much! I'm interested to see who the various artists are who have recorded these songs. Luckily, I can still read some Russian! :wink:
StewH

opus23#10

Postby opus23#10 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 am

StewH, those Howard Shelley recordings must be amazing, because someone else on the forum mentioned them at one time. They did not include the label, though. Thanks for that info. I am going to get them very soon, because I am really curious about them. :)
Opus23#10

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Op23#10, I spotted the original recordings on the Chandos label on the Barnes & Noble website, but my version is the Brilliant Classics one, which are reissued copies of the original Chandos recordings, and somewhat less expensive. My understanding is that the Chandos recordings include the translations, while the Brilliant recordings merely include the Russian transliteration. However, they do refer you to a website for the translations, which has many, but unfortunately not all of them. I can assure you, you-will-not-be-disappointed with these recordings. Furthermore, the four soloists, not to mention Mr. Shelley, are excellent; all songs are sung as originally composed--none are transposed to a key suitable to the soloist's range. (This obviously had to be done for the Soderstrom/Ashkenazy recordings of the Complete Songs). Thus, the vocal qualities and tonal effects envisioned by the composer, SVR, are faithfully retained. I really cannot praise these recordings by Shelley, et.al., enough.
StewH

Return to “Meet & Greet!”