Let's celebrate SVR's Birthday!!!

Here you can place info about yourself in order to get to know each other on the forum somewhat better. You can also use it for some more random conversation
Marianne

Let's celebrate SVR's Birthday!!!

Postby Marianne » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:03 am

Dear friends, let me post the message of my friend:

Dear collegues and friends!

We congratulate you with the coming Day of Rachmaninoff!

The 1st of April or the 2nd of April (according to the newest researches of the biographers) we celebrate the birthday of Sergey Vasilievich Rachmaninoff. On the site facebook.com people celebrate this day all together through listening our great composer music.

But we can celebrate his birthday in other ways too.
If in your families or in your friends' families there is a newborn child, try to persuade his parents to give him the name of composer - Sergey, Serge or Serjio.

We also ask those people who love Rachmaninoff's music to ask friends and just people in the streets, shops, in subway, everywhere, whether they know who Rachmaninoff were, whether they know his music. As only we could unite all people that know Rachmaninoff and those who don't know him yet, but want to know him. Give his records as presents to your friends, donate disks, etc.

Thank you!

And I repeat the same frase as the one that Vladimir Ashkenazy once said to me: "Long Live Rachmaninoff!"

We look forward to your ideas and projects.

Ludmila Kovaleva-Ogorodnova,
President of Saint-Petersburg Rachmaninoff Society

Marianne

Re: Let's celebrate SVR's Birthday!!!

Postby Marianne » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 pm

I can add that we could play Rachmaninoff's music in this day. Lets play Italian polka for example, or whatever you can play...
With the help of facebook and some preparations we can make some huge event next year SVR's birthday - play his works in every city of the world! So that his music would sound everywhere and thus reach The Guinness Book of Records of simultaneusly most played composer...

Your ideas?

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm going to call our local classical radio station and see if they are planning anything on SVR's birthday tomorrow (or Thursday).
StewH

StewH

Postby StewH » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Happy Birthday, Dear Sergei!
StewH

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Dear Opus 23#10 gave me a present for the SVR's birthday!!!

A newspaper sent by real mail!!! :!:

With the most rare picture of Rachmaninoff:

Can't tell, how much I am obliged to you, dear Opus 23#10. Thank you so so much!!!
Not only from me, but from many many others whom I will show this picture on Russian music boards... They also collect rare photos of Rachmaninoff and never ever saw this one!!!

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 pm

he looks as classy as ever!!! Even after a trip in such a plane... :)

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:25 am

Exactly!!! I like most of all that the man behind him is walking, it makes the picture so alive, as if just few minutes ago shot...

A friend of mine (he is a pianist and a prize-winner of Rachmaninoff contests) also gave me a present - a perfect present!!!

www*youtube*com/watch?v=QB6-gT-dt18

The most complete video data on SVR taken from different sources.

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:23 pm

It's interesting that his music was used so often to represent airplanes, particularly warplanes. It brings the Soviet's propaganda film to mind where they used the g minor prelude with soviet pilots running to battle, and even musicians concertizing on the front lines.

Despite the veracity and occasional vigilant nature of Rachmaninoff's music, there is also the sweet, tranquil soaring through the clouds of the sky, as in his third piano concerto, first movement, or the steadily climbing pheonix of the 3rd symphony opening.

Such imagination, creativity, talent, and genius has left its mark for us to admire and cherish, I wish you all a wonderful day of embracing his music for what it truly is, without any measure of music of his being left unappreciated nor undervalued.
Mikhail Pais
Classical Pianist
not allowed.com

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:56 am

mikhailp, you write as an impressionist! Though I would rather say that it his music is embracing us, not other way :D :D :D

The text from the article:

Paula Allen:
Russian composer-pianist was in pain, but the show went on

The triple-threat musician was in San Antonio at least twice, in 1933 and 1936, and his visits received considerable newspaper coverage. Sergei Vassilievich Rachmaninoff (1873-1943) was about 60 when he first visited San Antonio.
"During the tour through the South and West, Rachmaninoff's aging body gave him a sharp warning," say Bertensson and Leyda. While here in 1933, the biography says, Rachmaninoff had "so painful an attack of lumbago that he could not reach the piano stool unassisted."
According to Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary online, lumbago is "acute or chronic pain (as that caused by muscle strain) in the lower back." It might have come from a period of intense piano practice, after months away from the instrument, judging from an interview Rachmaninoff gave the San Antonio Express, Jan. 22, 1933.
"When I am concertizing, I cannot compose," he said. "When I feel like writing music, I have to concentrate on that — I cannot touch the piano. When I am conducting, I can neither compose nor play concerts."
Though in concert mode, when the "Titan of the keyboard" stayed at the St. Anthony Hotel, Rachmaninoff "struck not a chord" on the hotel's Steinway grand piano nor on the small upright "a local company" had delivered to his room, "playing his only San Antonio music for the cash customers."
The Jan. 23, 1933, concert at Municipal Auditorium was sponsored by the San Antonio Civic Music Association. The city was between symphony orchestras; one established in 1904 had petered out, and the San Antonio Symphony wasn't founded until 1939. Though the concerts usually were for members only, Rachmaninoff's solo performance was open to the public "at popular prices."
Ailing or not, the pianist presented "a program containing many numbers, which closely approximates the wishes of a Rachmaninoff audience." He began with Beethoven's Variations in C minor; a Chopin sequence, Valse, Nocturne and Ballade; and Weber's "Invitation to the Dance."
After an intermission, Rachmaninoff played two preludes of his own composition, followed by his transcription of Mendelssohn's Scherzo from "Midsummer Night's Dream"; a Schubert Serenade in Liszt's arrangement; Schubert's Brooklet, arranged by Rachmaninoff; and an Etude and Rhapsodie by Liszt.
There is no mention of the unorthodox curtain procedure, but the Light, Jan. 24, 1933, says the pianist "awaited that perfect moment of undisturbed silence" before starting to play.
The Express reviewer, Jan. 24, 1933, says Rachmaninoff "brought out every difficult phrase (and) turned it into a triumph (with) fine fingering and deep emotion." On "Invitation to the Dance," usually performed by orchestras, "Rachmaninoff was a symphony by himself," says the Light.
After the performance, the "several thousand listeners were loath to go," says the Light. Rachmaninoff, "though reported to be ill, graciously responded with two encores."
When Rachmaninoff returned for a Dec. 15, 1936, concert in the auditorium, his concert was first in a series sponsored by the Friends of Music. A story in the Express, Dec. 6, 1936, includes a photo of a hale-looking Rachmaninoff playing with his grandchildren in Switzerland.
This time, Rachmaninoff's program included the Bach-Liszt Fantasia and Fugue; Beethoven's Sonata op. 10 No. 1; Chopin's Polonaise in G minor; three of Rachmaninoff's own Etudes-Tableaux; the Magic Fire Scene from Wagner's "Walkuere"; two Paganini-Liszt etudes; and an encore of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in D sharp minor.
"The artist combines German profundity with Slavic grace," says the Express review, Dec. 16, 1936. "He is equally capable to interpret the objective as well as the subjective side of the art."

StewH

Postby StewH » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Marianne wrote:Exactly!!! I like most of all that the man behind him is walking, it makes the picture so alive, as if just few minutes ago shot...

A friend of mine (he is a pianist and a prize-winner of Rachmaninoff contests) also gave me a present - a perfect present!!!

www*youtube*com/watch?v=QB6-gT-dt18

The most complete video data on SVR taken from different sources.

This video moved me very much...I am speechless...wow!

Thank you, Marianne.
StewH

Return to “Meet & Greet!”