Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...

Here you can place info about yourself in order to get to know each other on the forum somewhat better. You can also use it for some more random conversation
Daniel

Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 am

Hello everyone!
My name is Daniel, I'm from Romania and, apart from communicating with you, I was wondering if there's somebody else close to where I live. If this is the case, just give me a sign!
I was surprised to see at Penderell that I was the only one from east of Netherlands to be there! I mean nobody else from the rest of the continental Europe...

And let's just pump some life in this forum!

mikhailp
Site Admin

Re: Hi everyone! Daniel from Romania here...

Postby mikhailp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:54 am

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not from Romania...
However, I was born in Odessa, Ukraine!

Where in Romania do you live?
Mikhail Pais
Classical Pianist
not allowed.com

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Daniel, welcome to the club!

tell us about your fascination for Rachmaninoff and why you joined this forum if you will!

Daniel wrote:Hello everyone!
My name is Daniel, I'm from Romania and, apart from communicating with you, I was wondering if there's somebody else close to where I live. If this is the case, just give me a sign!
I was surprised to see at Penderell that I was the only one from east of Netherlands to be there! I mean nobody else from the rest of the continental Europe...

And let's just pump some life in this forum!

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Quite a long story...
I'll write about it here but I'm just caught in n work related problems right now...
Hopefully in two weeks I'll have more time available.
Just a small clue: I started out in 1993, listening the First Piano Concerto with Richter while waiting in line (looooooooong lines - 4 hours or more - fortunatelly those times are long dead now!) at the petrol stations...

mikhailp
Site Admin

Postby mikhailp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:59 pm

now THATS a way to start ones fascination of Rachmaninoff :D
i also first heard the 1st Piano Concerto many years ago and it inspired me to persue music...

still is my favorite piece!
Mikhail Pais
Classical Pianist
not allowed.com

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 pm

By that time I had no idea it was the "second" first. Although the fact it was bearing the op. 1 no. seemed weird considering the level of the work. Those who also heard the "first" first know what I'm talking about. Not that the original version would be less interesting though...
Also by that time the fourth concerto seemed somehow "derailed" from the rest - I had to come a long way to finally get the whole picture.
So, as I was discovering more and more, I passed through the First Symphony madness (well, this may last forever...), through the Third Concerto obsession (come on, Rachmaninoff fans - who didn't?) and so on. The final discovery were the songs, of which op. 38... (but that would be a story too long for now).
Anyway, I'd like to know how others got their passion for Rachmaninoff's music. I just think those of us who like it, we find a little bit of ourselves in it - that's why it touches us the way it does. Those of us present towards the end of the "Rachmaninoff extravaganza" at Penderell were surely touched as much as possible!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Daniel, hi friends! I'm from Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
I love Rachmaninoff music since my childhood, as my mother played his Elegy, famous Prelude in C# minor and some others...
Everybody in Russia knows Rachmaninoff mostly because of his Concert №2
Though it seems that all over the world the picture is different - there are more records of his Vocalise than any other of his list of works.
I love all his concerts, his works for piano solo, Corelli Variations, some of the songs.
I look forward to study his choral works, Isle of Dead, songs, symphonic works.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Welcome Marianne!
So it seems that in Russia is the same as in Romania: people here are also used to hearing only the 2nd concerto.
I witnessed the reaction of the audience here after hearing the 1st symphony. They were shocked because the romantic image of their beloved Rachmaninoff had been violently shattered... I can imagine what happened back in 1897! (of course no 2nd concerto existed by that time but...) I suppose some warnings should be posted when playing this work to an unsuspecting audience :D
Anyway, feels good to have someone new aboard and to see things livening up here!

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Thank you, Daniel!
I also rather more like his works where there is piano - it seems that he is the king of piano.
As for the symphonies - I think that they are ok too, but he is not the king of them, he doesn't know the orchestra the way Rimskiy-Korsakov did, the way he heard it.
They say that they both once were in Paris and Rachmaninoff was directing the performance of cantata "Spring", and afterwards he asked Rimskiy-Korsakov how did he like it. He said - quite ok, but why there were no signs of spring in the orchestra? And later Rachmaninoff wrote in his Memoirs (by O.Riseman) that he saw that that was true, and would like to make another instrumentation of the cantata, because in the works of Rimskiy-Korsakov one can see straight away the visions of the nature by the means of using this or that instrument.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 am

Marianne wrote:As for the symphonies - I think that they are ok too, but he is not the king of them, he doesn't know the orchestra the way Rimskiy-Korsakov did, the way he heard it.

???
When you say this do you refer to ALL symphonies?
No one will ever convince me that the 3rd or the Symphonic Dances lack anything.
Have you ever heard them live?
Korsakov is great, and so is Rachmaninoff. Both in their particular ways. Should Rachmaninoff have used the orchestra the way Korsakov did, we wouldn't have had Rachmaninoff, but a second Korsakov. Don't get me wrong here, I wouldn't miss a concert where they play Korsakov.
As for his piano concertos, at least the 3rd and the 4th, try to "turn off" the piano part and see what's left - a lot of music, not just notes that fill in what the piano can't reach. The piano is no. 1 there, but in such a logical way - everything fits. One has to be a great composer to achieve that balance. And there are those wonderful episodes where the piano, although having a difficult part, is NOT the soloist! It's part of Rachmaninoff's typical way of "hiding" things and emotions...
And I must officially admit that I enjoy op. <30 but really feel in another world with op. >30.

StewH

Postby StewH » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:52 pm

I must agree with Daniel here. SVR's orchestration of works like the Symph. #3, the Symphonic Dances, even The Bells (!) (and listen to the orchestration in the piano concertos...!), show every bit the skills of Rimsky-Korsakov; it's just that each was after a different color, a unique exposition of his musical ideas. I can no more imagine Rimsky orchestrating the Symphonic Dances than I can SVR orchestrating "Pictures at an Exhibition" or the "Rhapsodie Espagnole".
StewH

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention The Bells!
In terms of orchestration, does anyone here know Trois Chansons Russes op. 41?

StewH

Postby StewH » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:53 am

Daniel wrote:In terms of orchestration, does anyone here know Trois Chansons Russes op. 41?

Sure! I have two LPs with the songs on them. Haven't listened to them in several years, though. The orchestration is reminiscent of the Symphonic Dances.
StewH

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:14 am

The clarinet ending of the first song in op. 41 is... (I don't fiond the right words). And these small pieces give us a hint of what was going to follow much better than the 4th concerto does. Considering they were written at the same time, my oppinion is that he "invested" more in the songs than in the concerto. But I also have to point out that the jazz-like (OK everybody, come after me for writing this :D ) explosion in the middle of the 3rd movement of the original 4th reminds me very clearly the similar episode which occurs towards the end of the 3rd dance.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:57 am

To all of you:
Sorry for not posting for a while. Deadlines at work aren't exactly forgiving if you disregard them...

Return to “Meet & Greet!”