Vinyl

Monthly Polls will indicate which recordings will be featured here, cast your vote!
Amphissa

Vinyl

Postby Amphissa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Do any of you listen to records? You know -- old fashioned records? 33 1/3 long play or 78s?
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

StewH

Re: Vinyl

Postby StewH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:20 am

Not lately, but I have a very large collection accumulated over the years.
StewH

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:52 am

Well I DO listen to these records. Not on a regular basis, since I can't help thinking that, with every pass of the stylus, an infinitesimal loss in quality occurs, the vinyl eventually wearing out. But I have well kept records, I even have duplicates for some of those I like most and, from time to time, I enjoy submersing myself into their sound.
Melodyia might not have been exactly the best record manufacturer, but when I hear those real Russian basses while listening to the Vespers... and this just one example.
Another favourite from my collection is Tchaikovsky's 2nd concerto with Igor Zhukov - like fire, plus it's the original uncut version.
And so on, and so on...

Yes, unwanted noise occurs now and then. And keeping the records clean and the turntable adjusted (and it's whole story getting a turntable to its right parameters) is kind of a logistic nightmare. But the reward is worth it. And it's so sad that there are a lot of people out there having wonderful collections they don't listen to any more just because they never had the chance or just, even unbelievable simpler, the curiosity of playing their records on a decent turntable linked to a decent audio system. Or, even worse, they unsuspectingly already destroyed their records by playing them on their old turntable.

Ok, I won't insist any more. It's one of those things you have to try (with the proper tools!!!)in order to understand it. But I just hope some of you support me in my pleading.

StewH

Postby StewH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Some of my vinyls I will not listen to anymore: William Kapell's recording of SVR's 2nd Concerto, all SVR's recordings on vinyl (will soon get around to buying the CDs), Van Cliburn's Carnegie Hall performance of SVR's 3rd, just to name a few.
StewH

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Good theme to discuss, so nostalgic! :D
Thanks for starting! ;-)

I was not much older than three when my Dad gave me as a present the turntable and a bunch of vynils with various fairy-tales, and taught me how to use the system. Since then I spent much time listening as long as I had my own little collection of tales. I remember the best one was the record of "Thumberlina" accompanied with Grieg melodies...

Later I tried to listen to all the vynils my parents had gathered - that's about 200 vynils of classic music mostly from Melodyia. They numbered each set and made a catalog of all the composers, so that one could easyly find the favourite one.

The whole idea of listening to the vynil record is so nice - you switch on the turntable, you sit next to it, it's as if you pay more respect to the record and the process of listening.
As long as I understand - much depends on the stylus, if you make it not very heavy it can easely pass the "scrathes"...

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:55 pm

I listened to records back in the 1970s and 1980s, but I was not listening to much classical then. In the 1990s, like everyone else, I switched to CDs.

Last week, I played the vinyl of Rachmaninoff's 1st Symphony recording by Ashkenazy with the Concertgebouw Orchestra. This is my favorite Rachmaninoff symphony and this is a recording I know very well from CD.

The difference was amazing! The sound was so much more full, complete, rich. The bass was so powerful. The orchestra was arrayed across in front of me, just as if they were on a stage. I was captivated.

Yes, as Daniel describes, it requires a good turntable with a good cartridge carefully set up, but the difference in sound is worth the effort. Of course, any good stereo system costs money, and records are not as portable or as convenient as CDs or iPod downloads.

But I am now returning to vinyl. I will still listen to CDs sometimes, of course, and to SACD for better sound. But when sitting in my living room for serious music, it will be vinyl.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:31 pm

StewH wrote:Some of my vinyls I will not listen to anymore: William Kapell's recording of SVR's 2nd Concerto, all SVR's recordings on vinyl (will soon get around to buying the CDs), Van Cliburn's Carnegie Hall performance of SVR's 3rd, just to name a few.

Am I too annoying if I dare to ask you why?

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Amphissa wrote:I listened to records back in the 1970s and 1980s, but I was not listening to much classical then. In the 1990s, like everyone else, I switched to CDs.

Last week, I played the vinyl of Rachmaninoff's 1st Symphony recording by Ashkenazy with the Concertgebouw Orchestra. This is my favorite Rachmaninoff symphony and this is a recording I know very well from CD.

The difference was amazing! The sound was so much more full, complete, rich. The bass was so powerful. The orchestra was arrayed across in front of me, just as if they were on a stage. I was captivated.

So there is also a vinyl of that recording? Allow me to envy you for that!!! (In a positive way, I mean...)
Amphissa wrote:Yes, as Daniel describes, it requires a good turntable with a good cartridge carefully set up, but the difference in sound is worth the effort. Of course, any good stereo system costs money, and records are not as portable or as convenient as CDs or iPod downloads.

Thank you Amphissa!
I will continue stressing the importance of a proper equipment when listening to vinyls. Minor problems may induce major lacks in the quality of the audition or, even worse, irreversible damage. That's why I'm convinced that there a lot of people out there who really don't know the potential and value of their vinyl collection.
Take a bad or misaligned turntable, an improper amplifier and so on and your state of the art vinyl record from the '80s will sound like a wax cylinder of the 19th Century. OK, I'm exagerating, but still...

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:24 pm

Daniel wrote:
StewH wrote:Some of my vinyls I will not listen to anymore: William Kapell's recording of SVR's 2nd Concerto, all SVR's recordings on vinyl (will soon get around to buying the CDs), Van Cliburn's Carnegie Hall performance of SVR's 3rd, just to name a few.

Am I too annoying if I dare to ask you why?

Not at all, Daniel! While they're still in pretty good shape, still, I would prefer playing them on a much better turntable than I presently own, and frankly, I can't find a dealer, local or otherwise, that carries the quality product which I am looking for.
StewH

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:49 am

StewH wrote:While they're still in pretty good shape, still, I would prefer playing them on a much better turntable than I presently own, and frankly, I can't find a dealer, local or otherwise, that carries the quality product which I am looking for.

What is "local" for you? Are you looking for one specific turntable, or just looking for a turntable at a certain quality level? Must it be new, or would you consider used?

StewH

Postby StewH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Amphissa wrote:
StewH wrote:While they're still in pretty good shape, still, I would prefer playing them on a much better turntable than I presently own, and frankly, I can't find a dealer, local or otherwise, that carries the quality product which I am looking for.

What is "local" for you? Are you looking for one specific turntable, or just looking for a turntable at a certain quality level? Must it be new, or would you consider used?

"Local" is the Monterey Peninsula in California. We used to have some decent HiFi/Stereo equipment dealers here, but I think they're all gone now. I'm not looking for a specific turntable; in fact, a new or used turntable is somewhat down the list of priorities at the moment.
StewH

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 am

When you are ready to begin looking, there are two places that you can gather a wealth of information. Vinyl Asylum discussion board is an excellent place for information about turntables, arms, cartridges, and everything else about classical music on vinyl. The archives are a valuable resource. It makes available the discussions of many years. Search the archives for discussion of equipment.

An excellent place to shop for turntables is Audiogon. Audiophiles sell their used equipment here. Even if you are just browsing for ideas, you can see what is available and how much it costs used. Then you can compare to new prices, and you can read what people have to say about the equipment on Vinyl Asylum.

I bought my last turntable on Audiogon. I also bought a very high end SACD/CD player on Audiogon. Buying used, I was able to obtain equipment that I could never afford new.

Audiophiles are wonderful. They cannot help it. It is an addiction for them. They buy something and use it for 6 months or one year, then they must buy the newest greatest thing, so they sell the one they've been using. It is a great way to buy good equipment.

Send me a note if you decide to shop for a turntable. I will let you know what I think based on my experience. It's free, so you can ignore it if you like :D

Vinyl Asylum http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Audiogon http://www.audiogon.com/

StewH

Postby StewH » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Thank you, Amphissa, for your advice, and I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

Return to “Best Recordings”